Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trojan in System Volume Information

Question Trojan in System Volume Information

Hi,

I cannot open any of my installed softwares (anything ending in .exe) it says: Windows cannot find 'C:\...anyprogram.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again. Only my Virus program can be opened because the tasks were already scheduled so it runs automatically. The virus program had detected a few spots where it is infected.

The file name is UEDITE32.DLL in C:\Windows. The other trojan is A0063422.hta in C:\System Volume Information\_restore{13A544DC-3C87-4732-92C5-4AEB1DBBC5B8}\RP478\ and the third infection is bear.hta in C:\.

Please tell me if these trojans are the cause of unable to open any .exe files? What do I do to fix this problem? Thanks.

Your default action for exe files has been messed with - you can fix it with the UnHook inf file from symantec - download this and then right click it and choose install from the drop down menu. Don't reboot but manually run your AV software and CCleaner or other temp file cleaning up program.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Question UnHookExec.inf

Hi Curio,

Thanks for the tip. But unfortunately, it won't even let me do that. I right click to install, and it still gave me the same message Windows cannot find 'C:\...UnHookExec.inf'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again. What else can I do?
    Last edited by Autumn_Leaf; September 10th, 2006 at 20:40 PM.

In that windows cannot find blah blah line is there something like c:\windows\blah\nastything.exe before the path to c:\documents and settings\username\desktop\unhookexec.inf?

No, it only gives the path of:
    c:\documents and settings\username\desktop\unhookexec.inf.

I can't run anything. Almost everything are disable: for example,
    Right-click -> Open With -> Choose Program,
    Run (in Start Menu),
    Programs in the system tray.

Everything gives me that error message.
    Last edited by Autumn_Leaf; September 10th, 2006 at 20:55 PM. Reason: Give Examples

OK different problem then. Probably your quickest solution would be to try System Restore, reboot the PC and keep tapping the F5 key to bring up the support menu and choose SAFE MODE from the list. When it gets to the desktop it will ask if you want to try SYSTEM RESTORE, say yes and choose a time before it went wrong from the restore points. This should fix it, but nothing is perfect.

Thanks Curio, I will give that a try.
    Last edited by Autumn_Leaf; September 10th, 2006 at 22:46 PM.

Thanks for helping me fix the problem with trojan in my pc last time. Unfortunately, the system restore option doesn't work either. Another method I tried using was to try to disable system restore so I can go into safe mode to change the registry edit, but I can't even disable system restore. It popped up with that same error message. Is my only solution to clean install XP? Thanks.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Here is something to try.Go to start/run and type in "sfc /scannow" without the " and be sure to put a space after sfc.You will be prompted to insert your xp cd to repair critical system files.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

It's giving me the same error message again: Windows cannot find 'sfc/scannow'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. It can't even run anything. Even Run is disabled. Nothing can be executed on Run, I've tried. What's left?

Please make sure that you type it with a space after sfc.From the error the run box gave you there is no space there.I get the same error if I type it the wrong way also.sfc /scannow is how it is typed. If that doesn't work you may have to do a fresh install.I'm still looking for another way for you to repair this.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Thanx Zipp. I tried it with the space. Even with a space it still doesn't work. It's frustrating cuz virtually everything is disable and the only thing I could do is open my drives to look at stuff. But even opening My Computer, it tells me that Windows cannot find drives. I could only open drives using Windows Explorer with keyboard shortcuts.
    Last edited by Autumn_Leaf; September 16th, 2006 at 05:53 AM.

I know this an executive but try downloading and running this file from symantic.Here is the link.http://www.jhu.edu/anti-virus/FixMytob.exe

Thanks zipp but it's a executable file. I cannot open any .exe files. It just gives me the same error message: Windows cannot find 'C:\...anyprogram.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again.

Firstly, is all your data in C: ? Have you another volume...D, E etc?