Thread: When my keyboard would not work the other day...

When my keyboard would not work the other day...

Is the BIOS classified as "software" per se--I don't know? If so, this is the wrong forum.

Anyhow the other day I upgraded my RAM by inserting 2 new memory modules. But my computer would not boot, I checked and discovered one had not been seated correctly. I corrected that and then my computer booted. However, the BIOS screen popped up a message that my keyboard was missing or inoperative. It had a "continue" button, so I elected to continue. But my keyboard would not work in any program and the Num Lock light stayed on. I tried another keyboard--waste of time. After a bit it occurred to me that maybe there was a BIOS setting that needed changing. Well, I checked every entry in the BIOS, including expanding it and found nothing that I thought related to the keyboard or Num Lock key. So I simply exited without changing.

I then booted and the Num Lock light was out and the keyboard worked just fine.

Would someone give me their take on how my keyboard worked again when all I did was go into the BIOS and back out without changing anything?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    It could be that the cable was loose or something causing the BIOS to miss it on the first check and then when you went back in, it found it.

I have had this happen a couple of times... I just chuck it off as a quirk. Usually restarting the computer solves it.

BB: Below is what the owner of the shop where I take my computer for repair said when I asked him. Any reaction to it?

The BIOS will check to see if there is a keyboard present and working properly. There are settings in the BIOS
    for numlock on/off and also under whether to display keyboard errors on startup. It is possible that after reseating the memory chip the BIOS had to save it's settings again to boot and operate properly.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply View Post
    BB: Below is what the owner of the shop where I take my computer for repair said when I asked him. Any reaction to it?

The BIOS will check to see if there is a keyboard present and working properly. There are settings in the BIOS
    for numlock on/off and also under whether to display keyboard errors on startup. It is possible that after reseating the memory chip the BIOS had to save it's settings again to boot and operate properly.

I don't see how changing memory affects keyboard settings, but anything is possible. BUt perhaps the BIOS did just need to resave it's settings.

When I experienced this sort of thing I just considered it a fluke.