Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the worst you've done to your PC?

Bronze Member

What's the worst you've done to your PC?

Here's my horror stories.

Back when I was running Windows 98, I purchased a program called "Windows Cleaner" or something like that, from a computer store bargain bin, I came home installed it, ran it with out knowing anything about it and wiped out half my registry. Ouch, had to reformat.

Again, with Windows 98, I once installed a utilities program, which offered a "disk clean option", Ran the disk clean, and cleaned out some core Win98 files.

A while back when I had first bought XP, I decided to un-install the Microsoft Games (Backgammon, Solitaire, Checkers, etc). I went through the Add/Remove Programs and uninstalled all the MS games as well as Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and Windows Explorer.

Once when XP was relatively new, I installed NAV, and then later on, installed another anti virus program as well (some freeware one can't remember the name). NAV started a scheduled scan while the other one was scanning. They both scanned for about 3 seconds and then the whole system crashed. I got the blue screen of death and could not reboot.

Anyone else buggered up their system?
    Interested to here your stories.

Halder

I have deleted important operational files before attempting to free up space on my hard disk. I know now that the best way to do this is to uninstall but then the delete key to a folder worked mighty fine for me and accomplished my goal. Yes I have had the blue screen of death, but I would just keep turning my computer on and off and sometimes just like it died it comes back. I have only had this happen to me twice though. I have had to find ways to slim up programs so things like net meeting and anything I deem unnecesary just do not exist on my hd...of course needless to say I now keep a registry fix program because of the errors I create. I am proud to say that I do this less nowadays.
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

One day my uncle was taking a look at an old IBM laptop running 98 that had been messing around for a while (cd drive stopped working, floppy wouldn't work). Using what he thought was logic he booted up in command prompt and typed "delete C:/windows". Haven't gotten it to work since.
    Repeat after me: I WILL use Google before asking stupid questions.

Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

Bronze Member
    MrA, that was priceless, ROTFL!

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    I switched to a mac.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Literally LOL at petard

How to choose? There have been so many.

- like the time I spilled a full cup of coffee on my keyboard. It was in the early days when a replacement keyboard was over $100.

- or when a screw driver slipped while removing a cpu heatsink & fan. Scratch one motherboard.

- or the time when I was in command prompt (win 3.1 days) and typed del *.*. It would have been OK if I were in the intended directory and not root.

- or the time I plugged a 110V printer into 240V service while living in Germany.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    installed Windows...

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    installed Windows...

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I was actually replacing a CPU on my spare PC and broke one of the tabs that the heatsink latches on to... (I tried superglue, hot glue, everything to get that tab to stay on but there is too much force to latch it down onto the motherboard).

So I ended up drilling a small hole and using a screw as the tab. It worked, but looks very ghetto.

lol @ Boog's Ghetto Machine
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Dat ain't ghetto. That's a typical "geek" fix. Duct tape, tie wraps, etc...

Unhappy

I bought a new PSU, carefully installed it in the tower, double checked connections to make sure there would be no shorts etc, plugged cable in and BANG. Guess who forgot to switch voltage setting to 220? 50 now doubled due to elementary mistake

Took out CPU and bent a couple of pins and shorted the MB during replacement.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joshsiao View Post
    Took out CPU and bent a couple of pins and shorted the MB during replacement.
    , I did the same thing, cept my pins broke off trying to straighten them

Oh and one time I changed the heat sink on the CPU....with the PC running....CPU smoke really stinks