Thread: Problems getting WMP 10 to run mpeg files - [FIXED]

Problems getting WMP 10 to run mpeg files - [FIXED]

I have two computers on a small LAN, a desktop and a laptop. Both run XP and WMP 10. The laptop refuses to play .mpeg files stored on either network drives or locally, but plays the same files just fine directly off the original website.
    I checked file corruption by playing the exact same files on the desktop, which ran perfectly. I downloaded and reinstalled WMP 10 on the laptop without any change in performance. I tried disabling all my Norton products, but that didn't make any difference.
    I'm assuming there is either a setup error in WMP 10 on the laptop, or a conflict with another program, but I've run out of ideas where to look.
    Any thoughts from the community on additional diagnostics or potential remedies? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

In my previous post I failed to note that WMP 10 runs .avi file properly on both the laptop and desktop, if that helps anyone think through the problem.
    Many thanks.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Have you installed all the necessary codecs on the laptop?

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Reverend,
    I checked the Options tab, and "download codecs automatically" is selected on. The video clips in question aren't Divx or anything special, though I have those codecs installed.
    I get the following error box text "Windows Media Player encountered an unknown error. This can occur when another program or operating system component encounters a problem but does not communicate the nature of the problem to the Player." (Error ID = 0xC00D11CD, Condition ID = 0x00000000)
    I don't know if that helps.
    Thanks for your time...
    Blackdog

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    If the file is MPEG1 (if you don't know still try this) then re-install DirectX on your computer. This should overwrite any corrupt files causing the problem.

If the file is an MPEG2 (if you don't know still try this) then you will need to re-install the MPEG2 decoder you have been using e.g. WinDVD.

And just in case:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...oDecS_Pack.htm

Get the ace mega codec pack and install that puppy on your system.

Big Booger,
    Thanks. Reinstalling DirectX had no effect, but the ACE Mega Codec Pack seems to have fixed the problem.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Big Booger,
    Thanks. Reinstalling DirectX had no effect, but the ACE Mega Codec Pack seems to have fixed the problem.
    Reverendo had the fix, or at least was hinting at it. I just pointed you in the right direction. *directX can cause vid troubles.. but in your case it wasn't the culprit. But at least you sorted it.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    The majority of videp playback problems are codec related.

Now that you have the codecs installed i suggest you uncheck "download codecs automatically" in WMP. I personally never have that option enabled. It's just another "phone home" feature that isn't really needed.

Just my opinion.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========