Thread: Remove free AVG

Gold Member

Remove free AVG

I had to remove free AVG, because I wanted to download that free Kaspersky AV that I understand is superior to AVG. Kaspersky is running fine, however I still get the same message at the bottom of incomming e-mails that says AVG has found no viruses in the incomming message. I see no traces of AVG in the add / remove programs nor in task manager, nor in the startup items. Any thoughts on this matter ?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5465/lng/us/tpl/v5

Reinstalling and using the Add/Remove option is necessary for example for the case that there is a new supported e-mail client (Outlook/Eudora/The Bat!) installed on the PC after the installation of AVG Free for Windows.

Gold Member
    BB, thanks for the reply. I downloaded and installed AVG again. Then I went to the ADD / REMOVE programs in Control Panel, and removed AVG. I thought that is how I removed it the first time, not sure. Will have to wait until I get an e-mail from someone to see what happens. BTW, I did not install anything
    like Outlook / Endora / Bat .

There also might be a setting in Outlook that you need to adjust but I don't have a computer with AVG on it at work.. but when I get home I will check my wife's PC and see.

Bronze Member
    Another thought is maybe the email is being scanned elsewhere by AVG, before it gets to your computer. Are you using Outlook Express for email? If so, it could be a server from your ISP, couldn't it? I'm guessing you're not talking about hotmail, or yahoo mail or anything, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mousesk View Post
    Another thought is maybe the email is being scanned elsewhere by AVG, before it gets to your computer. Are you using Outlook Express for email? If so, it could be a server from your ISP, couldn't it? I'm guessing you're not talking about hotmail, or yahoo mail or anything, right?
    That's a damn fine answer. The person sending you the email could have AVG installed thus you get the message that AVG scanned your incoming mail. If this were happening in outgoing then it probably would be due to AVG remaining on your system.

But who knows.

Gold Member
    Success--I have received about ten e-mail since I last posted, and now the message at the bottom of the e-mail from AVG is gone. Many thanks to Big Booger and Mousesk for the suggestions