Thread: Broadband routers - modem required?

Broadband routers - modem required?

When people advertise braodand routers I was under the impression it was a router and ADSL modem combined. However closer inspection of the small print shows that all teh ones I've looked at require you to plug in your existing modem.
    That's a little disappointing but not too bad since I have an ADSL modem - except that it is a USB modem. All the wireless routers seem to require a ethernet connection to the modem. I've not checked out those not supporting wireless but in any case could somebody advise me - if a router has a USB socket as well as the RJ45 ones, will this work when I plug in my modem?

Thanks in advance.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    personally I would use the RJ45 since every pc out there communicates with tcp/ip. also there is no drivers to install to muck up.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I've not seen a router with USB input myself.

I have a Westell DSL 4 port/wireless router with built in modem and has both RJ45 and USB conections,there are ones out there for USB but RJ45 is always the faster option.Not all routers have built in modems although there are a few mostly provided by your DSL provider.

The thing is I am on a tight budget. If I have to buy another modem and then a router that's costly.
    It's hard for me to tell if a router includes a modem or not - searching for "broadband router" finds loads of routers which are (to paraphrase) "a router, a switch and an internet sharing device" but which appear NOT to actually be a modem too.

Your best bet would be to check a place like Best buy,I have seen broadband modem/router combo's there before.I havent really looked on newegg or tigerdirect but you could try those as well.They will usually say that they have built in modem pretty clear in the product discription.

I managed to find one. I think it's by Belkrin - the only manufacturer I've heard of apart from netGear.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Try D-Link

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Since I have this thread...

The one i've chosen is wired+wireless. i don't hactually have a current use for wireless, would I be advised to turn it off for security - are wireless hubs set to secure by default?