Thread: Dragging a window around monitor ain't what it used to be - [FIXED]

Dragging a window around monitor ain't what it used to be - [FIXED]

This happened during my attempt to load iTunes songs saved on a CD back into a new installation of iTunes/Quicktime Player (the two download/install as a package).

But something did not work as intended. iTunes at first, when I clicked on its icon brought up its empty playlist (library). It let me add one song to the playlist but after that would neither play the song or let me add further songs. All I could do was access the Music Store.

A Repair of iTunes did nothing to help. I then tried an uninstall and reinstall. That did not help either.

Also I have ended up with this oddity: You know how after you shrink a window on the monitor, you can drag it around? Well, I can still do that BUT instead of simply dragging as a entire window, what happens is that an empty rectangle of thin edge lines goes where I drag it. When I release the left mouse button, the contents of the window catch up. This happens with any and all windows.

A reboot didn't cure this.

An afterthought...a repair install of XP sounds like it has a reasonable chane of success. If no less invasive solution, I'll give that a try.

I'LL ADD THE FOLLOWING JUST IN CASE IT MIGHT HAVE SOME VALUE TO SOMEONE.

I was going to wait for a response, but the Repair install idea was too attractive and (as it would not mean reinstalling all my programs) so I ran a repair install. This is the result:

Windows interrupted and restarted the setup part twice. Then it said it "could not load the installer for tape controller. Contact hdwe dealer." I clicked OK; Windows completed its installation and rebooted. Then: "The CinePlayer Decoders have not yet been activated. You must activate the product before use. Please run the player that included those decoders to activate product." I clicked OK. Windows quickly booted (or maybe finished booting) and all my icons were there. Systray icons OK. Windows works as before. Can't say yet re movie files playing.

But the weird problem of dragging screens around on the desktop did not get fixed. It looks as if I'll have to do a clean install. (I didn't know I had a "tape installer"; I've never ever used any tape machine with this computer.)

I fear the only answer now is a clean install of Windows and all my programs. Any opinions or suggestions?
    Last edited by wumply; September 25th, 2006 at 00:48 AM. Reason: had a relevant thought an hour or so after initial post.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

The solution got dumped in my lap--Ho..Ho! It was:

Check this:Start> Run> type: sysdm.cpl then hit OK.
    Advanced tab> under Performance section hit the Settings button.
    Visual Effects tab, make sure that the box is checked beside:
    Show window contents while dragging
    and that the radio button is ticked:
    Let Windows choose what's best for my computer

Here was the site (see below) whose advice caused me to decheck the things I should have left checked. I should have not-unchecked particular items I unchecked--but I didn't DO that! But it never occurred to me either, that there would even be such an item. Why would one ever NOT WANT a window's contents to stay with the window border when dragging?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html See Tweaks about 1/3 of lthe way down the page if you go there.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Wumpmeister,
    I usually use those tweaks you posted to help speed up my system. I think dragging the contents around with the image following might speed up the system a snippet but it just looks better with the contents in sync with the dragging.