Thread: Loooong Continuos single beep on power up

Loooong Continuos single beep on power up

Hello guys,

Maybe you all could help me. I have a system that was struck by a power surge during a lightning storm and now all it does is give me a long continous beep when powered up. I tried removing everything from all the slots and the beep stays the same. The fans start up but all it does is beep.

I tested the hard drive on another system and it works fine.

Any idea on what this is about???

jc

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    memory perhaps?

A bad power supply?

Damaged motherboard?

On an IBM bios it would mean - No Power, Loose Card, or Short.

On Award bios it could mean - RAM problem

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I have had short outs and it could be a cdrom or other optical drive,and or the floppy drive.The computer I'm on right now has a shorted optical drive that was causing the system to crash until I unhooked the power molex.Also you could discharge the power supply,disconnect it and reset the cmos jumper.I would say if anything went during the surge you discribed,it would be the weakest link,or the power supply.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

long single beep = processor fault
    look at the capacitors on the mother board, if they have rounded tops instead of flat tops then the mobo is blown.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Well, I got a bit further this time. I went ahead and removed the memory and moved it to the other slot and low and behold it started. It didn't boot completely because I had unplugged all the drives from their respective connections on the MoBo. So I went ahead and connected the drives again and restarted only to get the beep again!!!???!?!?

Now I know the HD works cause I had tested it, I'm thinking it's the memory stick itself thats bad but I'm going to go ahead and test the CD drive and the floppy on another board to see how that works.

Any thoughts??

JC

If you have someone who has a system similar to your who can test your RAM that would be a good start.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I had the same happening with a client PC. Even the new RAM would not work on it. Since I was doing consulting work for the company they decided it was cheaper to buy a new box and move the hard drive (my time wasn't cheap at all since I was contracted by another company and subcontracted to them)
    Anyhow, never resolved the issue really, but the DIMM 1 would cause that problem everytime there was a mem stick on it. This was a Dell PC

Could it be that the power surge damaged the DIMM slots on the mobo?