Thread: WMP 11 is refusing to play videos from the BBC site.

WMP 11 is refusing to play videos from the BBC site.

At the BBC site I can play their news videos just fine if, at the BBC site, I instruct the site to use RealPlayer. If I tell it to use WMP, no video plays. I have no trouble playing videos from MSNBC or my own videos I've saved to my HD.

Now just recently I did a repair install of Windows. Before that time I ws using WMP 10 and the BBC videos played just fine. I got WMP 11 because the Repair install left me with WMP 9 (that was on my original XP CD) so 10 was gone. When I went to get WMP 10, MS had put out the WMP 11 Beta so I just downloaded that.

WMP 11 has all the File Types in its list checked.

Do you think WMP omitted the codec needed for BBC news videos? (I've no idea if they did or if a particular codec is needed for BBC news videos.)

WMP 10 used to play the BBC videos just fine.

What's going on? What can I do? (Yes, I can just use Real Player but wouldn't you thiink WMP 11 should play the BBC videos when WMP did?)
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

I have had similar issues with certain video's on websites after upgrading to WMP 11,It seems to be a codec issue like media player doesn't reconize it in my case.On occasion i get audio and no video,on others it says it cannot play the file even though the file is a normal filetype such as mpeg.I assume it has to do with the way the video was originally encoded but i have no clue how to fix it.

Did you have these problems with WMP 10 or 9?

No i didn't,I originally used Media player 9 then also upgraded to 10,then got the 11 beta when it was released.

I , moments ago and out of curiosity, uninstalled WMP 11 and reinstalled WMP 10. And the videos from the BBC played just fine. Oh well, they probably had their reasons! But you wonder why they made that change. I mean many people from many countries must go to the BBC site.

Is WMP 11 still beta?I havent ever seen any updates for it as of yet.If it is perhaps it's just a bug of some sort.

Hi bhxtyrant. I, likewise, have seen no indication WMP 11 is not Beta. Reverend discussed it as beta (and what it was designed to do) on Aug 3l a few posts back in this forum.

Now I wonder if in some odd moment - if you're still using WMP 11, you could do me a small favor. As I said I'm using WMP 10 now because it solved myk problem of not being able to play BBC videos. And I therefore know what file types WMP 10 willl handle. But I did not save file type info from WMP 11--wish I had--just to compare 10 and 11 and see if there was a file type in 10 but missing in 11--that played the BBC news videos. (In which case 10 would have the needed codec, 11 would not.

Could you just jot down the file types in your WMP 11 and send them along?

Hey wumply,no problem the filetypes in WMP11 are as follows,

Windows Media File(asf)
    Windows Media Audio File(wma)
    Windows Media Video File(wmv)
    DVD Video
    Music CD Playback
    Windows Video File(avi)
    Windows Audio File(wav)
    Movie File(mpeg)
    MP3 Audio(mp3)
    Midi File(midi)
    Aiff File(aiff)
    AU Audio File(au)
    Microsoft Recorded TV Show(dvr-ms)

And thats all,maybe im mistaken but wasn't there more file types in version 10?

Also for reference i have ACE Mega Codec Pack installed,latest version complete professional install.So i doubt it would be a lack of correct codec issue in my case.