Thread: MS Licensing management

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

MS Licensing management

OK, I am going thru the tedious task of figuring out how many licenses we are using and how many we should have, and then report if we are over licensed or under licensed.
    This is a lot easier said than done, since there are many ways to apply the licenses, mainly for MS, and then there are many ways you can get the licenses.
    So, what would you suggest is a good system for archiving and maintaining licenses, and mainly, what is a good system to track the licenses.
    I realized that the licensing console in Windows 2003 is close to useless.
    PS, what do you understand for revoking a license?
    Last edited by Dehcbad25; September 26th, 2006 at 20:22 PM. Reason: Added PS

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

some of these are kind of overkill (in price) mainly considering my boss thinks I can manage all with Excel
    I am looking at the second link to see if any of those products would work.
    I have the lincesing tool from MS running, and somehow it is managing well to keep track of Windows CALs. I also use Newt Pro for Auditing the network (great app).
    What I am actually looking is for suggestions from a net admin that has to manage licenses as well.
    I am being a bit ambitious but I am in the thinking stage of trying to fix all the management of the network and log/audit as much as possible. I want to keep track of AD changes (I have Hyena Enterprise), network equipment configurations and ports (LanSurveyor and SolarWinds), Network Monitoring system (hobbit), audit and security (Newt pro and MBSA, and sometimes newt[nexxus]).
    I would love to integrate as much as possible and run reports from it. Keep it in DB (maybe MySQL).
    I wish I knew enought programming to make my own tool I just find programming so tedious.

BTW, right now also I am in need of some system to manage my printers. Manage support to be done, inventory, toner inventory, vendors and providers and purchases. I know there must be something out there