Thread: Is TV Dead?

Is TV Dead?

As internet gets fast enough for streaming video to work reliably, isn't normal and even Sky TV going to become obsolete? If you can just watch the TV station over a web connection then why keep all those aerials on our houses?
    Wouldn't it be cheaper for TV companies to broadcast over the web than to have huge transmitters?

And that's not even thinking out being able to choose to watch any program at any time...

I've never heard any plan for this to happen - they talk about turning off normal TV in favour of digital and then HD, but never of switching to a web-based system that I have heard.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I might watch 1-2 hours a week of TV. It's not dead, but certainly will be in the coming years. It's just not as interactive as computer-based entertainment. You have little control and limited selection of what you want to watch. (you have to wait for stations to broadcast and you have to suffer through their selections)... I prefer youtube where I can search what I want to watch and then view it, pause it, close it, or save it for later).

TV is 1950s, Internet Entertainment, IE (hehehe) is the future!

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Right along with internet communication....streaming style that is.

I beg to differ. I think TV will still keep going strong for at least another 5 years (as it is now). There are so many people who just don't fell like messing with net services to get a tv show they want to watch. It's so much easier to just pick up your remote and let whatever's on entertain you. But as more and more people begin to embrace "IE", as booger coined it, stations/providers will change the way they do things.

I would say that TV -as we know it- is on it's way out. IMHO TV will become a TIVO meets Youtube in a way. Where you can search for what you want to watch (season/episode even), pause, close, save it for later, but it'll still include advertisements/commercials.
    Repeat after me: I WILL use Google before asking stupid questions.

Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    one asks a complete definition of TV to decide
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Well I don't just mean replacing TV with a "choose what you watch system", but more I ask "will TV stations 'broadcast' over internet instead of you using an aerial'?" i.e we watch the same channels but over the web.

Good Grief, Charlie Brown. Is radio dead?

Radio is needed a lot for people on the move. A wired internet connection in your car isn't feasible; and making a proper digital radio as small as an FM one is hard for people with tiny radios in their mp3 players and so on.

However, as mobile internet connection gets better then we won't need radio either...

Since I've been getting on the internet for about a year and a half now I rarely watch t.v., it puts me to sleep.
    :-) Simply me