Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bios slow to post

Bios slow to post

I really did not know where to post this. My computer is taking over 2 minutes before the screen shows the memory test and all the hardware. No beeps it just stays blank. During this time the HD lght flashes once or twice and the CD drive lite comes on and then off. CD lite goes off and on for the 2 minutes. Windows then starts ok. I went in to see if the HD was set to boot first and it is. I reset the Bios to default and it is still the same. Any ideas.

Birds Hill

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    What are your system specs?

Could just be a device that's connected that's causing a slow post.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Fast boot may be disabled,or the bus and cpu multiplyers are set low in bios.How does the machine run after windows loads?Battery could be low.Are the system dates set right?As rik suggested,disconnect each device(except HD of course),one at a time.CDrom,floppy,usb devices.Reseat all pci cards such as video,audio,modem.Then try removing all but video(agp or pci),one at a time.Then try replacing vid card.Reseat the memory.It's tedious I know but it beats paying $65/hr. to have someone else do it.Good luck.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Bios slow to post

Desktop with ECS K7SA board, AMD 1.24, 512mb. Nvidia Pro 64, Generic modem, on board sound. Date is fine, computer runs OK once windows start.

Have you been into the bios settings and checked that the fast boot option is enabled?Boot from Lan or network boot should be disabled for stand alone systems.Try disabling floppy seek on boot.Disable boot from other devices.Under the cpu settings are the busses for cpu and fsb set to 133/133 or 100/100 or a combination of both?Should be 133/133 for max performance with that chip.It looks like you are running an ATHLON at a lower fsb .What speed is your memory?Which model is your proccessor?Athlon1.4GHZ,1.3GHZ,1.2GHZ,1.1GHZ and which front side bus are you running.If you don't know you can download cpuiz from here.http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadge...552939e1c5d14c
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I get a hang on boot from time to time and usually it is a lightly loose cable or something is causing the auto detect of drives to hang for a moment.

If you are fairly knowledged with your computer inside you can remove the power cable and open it up and make sure your cables are firm in place. You sould also go into the bios and turn off auto detect once you have the drives acknowledged in the bios. Many hange can happen when you remove an old drive without telling the computer that you removed it and it looks for the drive until the timeout then boots to windows as normal.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

AMD Athlon Palamino 1.2, memory is DDR, bus speed using cpuiz is 100 with FSB of 200. I will try those bios settings, but nothing has changed in the last 3 years yet the start up is ridiculous. Thanks again

Birds Hill

Did this just start? Any recent changes?

If you are gonna start disconnecting things, start with any external devices...printers, joysticks, iPods, cameras.

Yes this just started about 10 days ago. I have not added any hardware. I went into the bios 10 minutes ago and tried resetting as suggested. Did not help. The strange part is that the computer is constantly trying to accss the CD drive before it fiinally starts. Sometimes the CD drive lite stays on for a long time, then it will flash. The HD lite does a quick flash every once in a while. Seems to be taking longer to start each day.?? I will try unpluging all the peripherals.

IF external devices don't seem to affect the problem, You may want to go inside the system and disconnect both the power and data cables from that optical drive to see if it's causing the delay.

OK: Here is what I did. After trying the Bios changes reset everything to normal. Went into system restore and reset to 3 weeks ago. A MIRACLE. Everything is ok. Tried it 3 times fires right up. This sytem sees a lot of use and I think it is time to update. I was looking at Sytemax dual core systems on line but they are using some awfully cheap MB's. If you were buying a new system what would you get? No gaming, lots of surfing, Word processing and some spreadsheets, digital photo processing. Reliability is important.

Birds Hill

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Asus mobo, good quality ram and a nice PSU to go with it.

Glad you sorted it out.

Thanks to all of you for the help. Since my last post some of the troubles have returned. But not as bad. I also noticed that my date suddenly lost a few years and months. Then when I clicked on an icon on my desktop all the icons in that area were highlighted and tried to open?? I am going to try unplugging some external stuff and if that does not work I will start inside. Thanks guys!!

Birds Hill