Thread: looking for file transfer and remote execution tool

dodobird

looking for file transfer and remote execution tool

Hello,

I am sorry if this is not the correct forum for this post.
    I am looking for a tool for Windows, that can do file transfer to remote machines ( running windows as well ), and also do remote execution.
    it should be run from a script, it should have a log of all errors, and it should be able to do Retry/Stop/Continue to operations ( for example if the file transfare didn't succeed, it sould be possible to choose in the script if we want the script to run the transfer command again, skip the command, or stop the execution of the script.

Thanks,

Oded.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    you want the file transfer automated inside your LAN, or Outside?
    inside use unc paths (\\server\sharename) and use robocopy in a batch file. The schedule tasks you can also access remotely.
    If you are not planning to use a set schedule, you can also do the same but directly. Have you looked in scripcenter in technet for a script close to what you want to do?
    At this moment I am having problems understanding what you are trying to accomplish, and there are so many possible solutions.
    I never needed anything to be automatic, so I use unc, and pull out mmc or hyena to do remote administration (not even vnc or RDC)
    For automated we have a linux machine running a scrpt to copy files (same concept can be applied to windows). Maybe if you explain a little better I can suggest something more useful

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Just to expand this thread a little.

We are trying to get some sort of File/Document replication/mirroring solutions between files servers in different office branches around the country. The servers are connected on a dedicated leased-line WAN Link. Both locations are of equal value i.e. The document at one branch can be opened and edited, and so can the same document at the other branch. So we need to monitor conflicts. Ideally looking for replication every hour or so, or immediate upon saving, or as minimum at daily rate.

We have UNC shares setup, and I'm currently looking at a scheduled or at least scripted Robocopy Solution.

So, a couple of questions : 1. Is there another type of solution in Windows Domain (not linux etc), or perhaps a hardware WAN compress technology (Juniper Gateways) ??

2. With Robocopy,
    * Where/What do i Download for Server 2003? What is latest version, 1.95 ??
    * How do you install the resource toolkit? Do you need to Set PATH?
    * Are there any GUI control programs for Robocopy? or scripts?
    * Can it deal with conflicts?

Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Actually Windows 2003 R2 is tweaked for remote file server sync.
    Robocopy is part of the resource kit tools http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    and there are WAN file synch tools as well. If you have 2003 R2 I would look into try to use those.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win.../benefits.mspx
    I know also there are a couple of application (which I look for curiosity about a year ago) that had some interesting technology to do branch sync of files, but I don't remember the names. I think I read it in Storage magazine

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Thanks Dehc, we dont have 2003 R2, i think we've only got an eval of win2k3 enterprise.. but it expires soon, and we'll just get the standard version

I downloaded the Resource Kit, so i'll read through the Robocopy documentation.. do you think this will be good enough for file mirroring over WAN? Is there a commercial program for this?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---