Thread: IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error

IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error

I am using windows XP. When I shut down, or attempt to reboot, after Windows has shut down, I get a blue screen of death with the error message IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error, and that my machine has been shut down to prevent damage.

I can start up again and it appears to function normally. I would try reinstalling the operating system, except that my system is a Sony VAIO, and I don't have the XP disks, but a set of recovery disks instead. I believe that gives me (only) a mirror image that will wipe my disk and restore the disk to the way it was when I bought it, something that I'm reluctant to do with over 33 gig and 100+ programs installed since I bought the machine.

I'd appreciate any help.

Gary

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Do you have a CDRW to back up your important files to? Are you using Zone Alarm as your firewall?

Yes, I have both a CDRW and a USB 80 gig hard drive that I can do backups to.

And yes, I'm using Zonealarm.

Titanium Member
    I have a Sony Vaio. When I had ZA I would get that message quite often. Since I have switched to Sygate Pro, I haven't had one BSOD. Possibly conflicting with NAV?

Try removing Zone Alarm first as per Lynchknot's successful tackling of this problem, I suggest using Sygate Personal Firewall instead.

http://www.sygate.com/

Then update us if this solves your problem.

That's possible, although I'm pretty sure it happens whether ZoneAlarm is running or not. I uninstalled ZoneAlarm, and it still happened.

I did have a problem with ZoneAlarm Plus 3.0 and NAV clashing; even with ZA set not to check e-mail, periodically a ZA file would start using 100% of processor capacity, always when NAV was virus checking e-mail. That problem disappeared when I uninstalled ZA+ and went back to the free ZA 2.xx.

Thanks, Conan, but I've already tried uninstalling ZoneAlarm. And after uninstalling it, I shut down the computer several times. It invariably ends with all the proper messages for Windows shutting down, but then gives me the blue screen of death and the error message, presumably at the point where it would either shut the machine down (on a "Turn Off") or begin the reboot (on a "Restart").

And this isn't an intermittent problem; it happens EVERY time I shut down or try to restart the computer. I've tried safe mode, I've tried disabling everything that can be disabled in msconfig. Nothing makes a difference.

One thing that may or may not be relevant; I first saw this error message when I had started Norton Speed Disk, and left it running overnight to defrag the disks. When I woke up, I found the blue screen and error message, and ever since, I ALWAYS get the blue screen and error message on shutdown or attempted reboot.

Gary+

Try removing all traces of Zone Alarm with this free appplication called Regcleaner.

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/programs/RegCleaner.exe

If that doesn't work, then try uninstalling Speed Disk or Norton Utilities or Systemworks (depending on what you have installed)and see if this will help the problem. Other than that, a Reinstall of your OS would be the next logical step.

Thanks, Conan. I'll give that a try, but not tonight.

In the meantime, if anyone has other insights, I'd appreciate them.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Check your ram. It could be a bad stick or two... You might try pulling one, running your PC and the try the other. If you have only one stick, now is as good a time as any to upgrade. At the bottom of the main page you will find a link to crucial.com
    Use it, look up your model and the maximum amount you can install. Then buy an extra stick. So if you have 256Mb and you want to upgrade, (as long as your model permits) get an extra stick of 256MB, totalling 512Mb. When the ram comes, try the new ram by itself. See if you get the IRQ error. If not, then try both sticks, if after you get the IRQ error then you know it was a bad stick of ram...

That could be the issue..
    Also, you might want to try doing a system restore using start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore...
    and restore it to a date before you installed NAV, Zone Alarm etc...
    WIth regards to reg cleaner as Conan mentioned above, make sure to do the following.
    Just open reg cleaner look for any reg entries labeled zone alarm, symantec, or norton, live update etc... and remove them. then restart and try your PC again...
    That may help as well.
    Good luck and welcome to TZ.
    BB

Titanium Member
    I've been reading a lot of people getting BSOD when they have changed their bootscreen with SP1 installed. Maybe that is your problem?

Originally posted by lynchknot
    I've been reading a lot of people getting BSOD when they have changed their bootscreen with SP1 installed. Maybe that is your problem?
    This is exactly what I tried to do yesterday. Ended up reformatting my drive as I could not get back into Windows after installing a new boot screen.