Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping your PC clean

Keeping your PC clean

Hey guys,I guess this is still the correct area to ask this.A while back i made a topic about keeping to much dust from collecting inside of your PC case.I got a few responses about using a filter similar to that used in air conditioners.Sounds like it would work quite well but so far i havent really found any that look like they would be good for it.

All the filters i seem to find are around 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch thick material.I would guess this would not allow nearly enough airflow into the case.So for those that do use filters what type do you use or look for?

Thanks.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I use the cheap ones....panty hose. cut it out and then screw them in behind the grill so it doesnt look too ghetto.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I bought some paper thin filters that are porous enough to allow air to flow in and out but not the dust. Every month or so I open my case and give them a good vacuuming. I purchased them at my local PC DIY shop. They come in packs of three and have the holes to screw into the fan assembly.

It's a breeze to install them. But what Phish does sounds like what I will do the next time.

I will check that out BB,Phish alternative sounds good but sounds like your way would be easier to keep looking good as well as functioning my PC has gotten alot of dust lately so when i clean it this time i wanna be ready.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Like phish said, pantyhose are great to use for filter material. Anything that doesn't restrict airflow too much.

Hey BB i have a question.Were the ones you found made of a material?or more of a wire mesh?I did mangae to find this http://www.directron.com/filterguards.html by searching google.Was thinking of getting some but they look like small dust can still get through.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    the metal ones do not keep much out. I have a Chaintek case, so I have plenty of room at the front to put the filter and you cannot see it. I just use a plain air filter that I bought in Acme.

Hey guys,Sorry for the bumping of an old thread but figured it's better to use this then make a new one since my question is about the same matter.

Ok basically after a while of searching i can not seem to find these filters anywhere here in Maryland or any sites i have visited.So nw the cheap alternative pantyhose.

So my question is basically whats the best way to go about this?When you guys do it do you use a single layer?Or multiple layers?I assume around 2-3 layers would be most effective for keeping out fine dust but i want to be sure before trying as i dont want to restrict airflow to and from the case which could cause overheating issues.

Thanks

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    1 Layer should be fine.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    1 Layer should be fine.
    Hmm... Silky or opaque woolies

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I just use a 3"X 5" peice of 1/4" thick fiberglas mat taped over the air inlets. You can only do so much about this because air seeps in around the CD-ROM and DVD slots as well as around the card slots in the back pulling in dust and lint along with the air. As you restrict the normal air inlets with filters you increase the air coming in through these other places. Also, it makes no sense to filter one of the fans that pull air out of the box. You cant get around opening the box from time to time and blowing it out. DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Quote Originally Posted by blackhat View Post
    I just use a 3"X 5" peice of 1/4" thick fiberglas mat taped over the air inlets. You can only do so much about this because air seeps in around the CD-ROM and DVD slots as well as around the card slots in the back pulling in dust and lint along with the air. As you restrict the normal air inlets with filters you increase the air coming in through these other places. Also, it makes no sense to filter one of the fans that pull air out of the box. You cant get around opening the box from time to time and blowing it out. DRB
    My problem isnt really with the larger dust which can be eaily cleaned but more so with fine dust that requires totally taking apart the PC to clean area's like under the motherboard and such.I know there is no real way to totally prevent it but i figure a filter would at least reduce the time between having to do it.I was thinking of taking a small air conditioner filter and cutting small strips to be fitted between the CD-Roms to keep dust from getting in that way.The main issue is the rear fans.I have one 80MM fan blowing out back there but also my PSU has it's intake fan on the back and also a bottom fan inside the PC on the underside of the PSU.It seems that as the Rear fan (which happens to be right below the PSU fan) blows dust away which gets sucked in by the PSU fans.Never had an issue with the PCI slots as on my case everything fits faitly tight and it has a plastic covering which covers the right side of PCI slots where the opening for screws are located.The front of my case also has a door covering the CD-roms and floppy drive and doesnt seem to get much dust.But i notice a build up of fine dust over time as it seems the dust being sucked in from the back of the case seeps through the space between CD-roms and builds up on the rear of the front door.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; December 14th, 2006 at 15:43 PM.

Bronze Member
    I use one like this:

And one of these:

Just have to be careful not to use max pressure and not blow directly onto an unrestrained fan, or else you can burn the bearings.

You can use a can of compressed air, but it'll quickly turn expensive if you fix a number of old PCs... (On can will last up to 3 good cleanings of a really dirty PC.)

If you can, try to clean it outside. If the PC is several years old and has been placed on the floor, it'll have collected a godawful amount of dust inside...

Since I have the compressor already, I use it. (Cost me around $100. I bought it for use with a nail gun.)

If you have a compressor or want to use one, make sure it's either oil free or has an oil separator. You don't want your PC full of oil gunk...

If you use a vacuum cleaner, you really should have a fine brush and brush the electronics while you're vacuuming - especially for TVs and monitors. Static will make the dust stick to the electronics unless you brush it away. Oh - and try to ground the mouthpiece on the hose. A vacuum cleaner will work as a van der graaf generator and create a lot of static on itself, which can kill chips.

Johan-Kr
    System1: iMac 27"
    System2: PowerMac dual 800 (mirrored drive doors), OsX 1.5 Leopard
    System3: EPoX 8KDA3+, 1Gb RAM, 4x1Tb - Raid5, CoolerMaster CM Stacker, FreeNAS.

Thanks for the tips fenalaar,but no i dont use a compressor as i have used a vacuum before and know of the static electrical buildup i usually prefer cleaning by hand i remove all the electronics from the case and give it a wipe down with a damp clothe then let it sit a while to make sure it's dry.They i dust the bord and everything and clean the fans carfully with the aid of a small brush,q-tips and maybe a clothe for larger fans.compressed air to clean out the Heat sink.It works well but is quite time consuming.Cleaning the PC was never the issue but getting it to stay cleaner longer was the real point of this thread.I usually clean mine every few months as my room with the PC in it tends to always get dusty very quickly.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I've thought about taking a pair of my wife's panty hose and covering my entire computer with it.. but then I thought about how stupid that would look. But it might help keep the dirt out.