Thread: Pot smokers may avoid Alzheimer's, study says

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Lightbulb Pot smokers may avoid Alzheimer's, study says

Good news for aging hippies: Smoking pot may stave off Alzheimer's disease.

New research shows that the active ingredient in marijuana may prevent the progression of the disease by preserving levels of an important neurotransmitter that allows the brain to function.

Researchers at the Scripps Research Institute in California found that marijuana's active ingredient, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, can prevent the neurotransmitter acetylcholine from breaking down more effectively than commercially marketed drugs.

THC is also more effective at blocking clumps of protein that can inhibit memory and cognition in Alzheimer's patients, the researchers reported in the journal Molecular Pharmaceutics.

The researchers said their discovery could lead to more effective drug treatment for Alzheimer's, the leading cause of dementia among the elderly.

Those afflicted with Alzheimer's suffer from memory loss, impaired decision-making, and diminished language and movement skills. The ultimate cause of the disease is unknown, though it is believed to be hereditary.

Marijuana is used to relieve glaucoma and can help reduce side effects from cancer and AIDS treatment.

Possessing marijuana for recreational use is illegal in many parts of the world, including the United States, though some states allow possession for medical purposes.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/10/05...eut/index.html

Marijuana should be legal. Just my 2 pesos and a bottle of cerveza

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I'm with you boogs. My lil brother almost got my mom high the other day. she just had knee surgery 2 weeks ago and the vikes that shes taken are thrashing her stomach so my bro like "hey mom you know if you smoke some of my pot it will take the pain away and you wont have to take those pills."
    So then my mom calls me up asking me how it makes a person feel and 20 questions.

My goodness! Can't remember due to Alzheimer's. Can't remember due to smoking dope. What is a person supposed to do.

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Good news for Willie Nelson.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

I'd love to stave off "oldtimers" but I can't remember where I hid my stash!!!

That is really interesting. Personally I would like to know what are supposed to be the bad side effects to smoking marijuanna? Like are there any (besides a general laziness in some people)?
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicblond View Post
    That is really interesting. Personally I would like to know what are supposed to be the bad side effects to smoking marijuanna? Like are there any (besides a general laziness in some people)?
    Don't Smoke Pot
    The only thing more pathetic than a 43-year-old guy who still gets high is a 43-year-old guy who gets high then drops dead of a heart attack. Unfortunately, if you're still smoking pot, that could be where you're heading. A new study from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston shows that inhaling marijuana quintuples your risk of a heart attack for 1 hour after lighting up. Trust us on this: Dropping dead in a 7-Eleven with a bag of Chee-tos in one hand and a Big Gulp in the other is no way to leave this world. Put down the weed.
    http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...10cfe793cd____

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Also, it's a gateway drug. And inhaling smoke of any kind is carcinogenic. Just ask Bob Marley.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt