Thread: Can't get Shockwave Player to work

Can't get Shockwave Player to work

I downloaded and theoretically installed Shockwave_installer_slim.exe. Now I don't remember whether I did this from the Adobe Macromedia site directly or whether a Shockwave file I ran into online said I would need to download and install Shockwave Player. And I say "theoretically" because I have my doubts as to whether it installed correctly.

Anyhow when I go through the first 3 steps of the instructions re [u]playing/u] the file at the site, all that happens is that my speakers say over and over: "3 2 3 2 3 2 3 2 3 2" ad infinitum. Thenl I get an hourglass and "This program is not responding..."

I didn't find an answer at the support FAQ at Macromedia. It did say how to uninstall it. I proceded to uninstall it, per instructions, with Add/Remove and Add/Remove indicated it was uninstalled.

I deleted those from the context menu. However when I go back to the site and the file I want to play and click on "install this plug-in" it says "The Shockwave plug is available." I click Next and then bullet the "Agree" radio button re the license. I click Next again and the bar shows a few green rectangles marching across - for 2 seconds - then it says "No Plugins were installed." Then: "Macromedia Shockwave Player 10.1 failed." And that is that. Oh, there's a button here named "Manual Install" but I saw no point in clicking that--or I tried it and again no install occurred.

Here's the site: www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/einstein/hotsciencetwin

Is there a solution?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Do the manual install and save the downloaded file and then double click to install.

Did as you said, manually installed Shockwave Player. Got taken to the Shockwave Player Download Center (again) where it said: "When you see the Installation complete" above, your installation is successful." Well, I saw the "installation complete."

Went back to www.pbs.org... site, tried again to play but still got the 3 2 3 2 3 2 3 2..." ad infinitum.

OK, so maybe the file at the site is screwed up. Conan, can you point me to another Shockwave file that I can go to to see if the problem is the file I was trying to access and not my installed Shockwave Player? I should note that when I do Step 1,2 etc...click on Captain Ein and then Major Stein and the left-pointing arrow, things work normally. It is with the next step--clicking on a twinkling star that the 3 2 3 2 business starts.

Bronze Member
    You can test your Shockwave Player here. The two movies will show if you have Flash and Shockwave Players installed. The version numbers of the both Players will be displayed in the test movie. To find out what the current version of the Shockwave Player is, check the Shockwave download page.