Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ok Vista beta testers-question ?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    yes moving to Windows Vista as soon as openvpn works like XP.....

dam, are you really going to miss out on Directx 10 and the games????

Egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

If you use an old PC then use an old OS - the OS that was designed for that level of hardware. New OSes are designed to accomodate features and abilities of modern hardware and future hardware. I don't see a problem.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio View Post
    New OSes are designed to accomodate features and abilities of modern hardware and future hardware. I don't see a problem.
    Who is that directed at?

I didn't say it was a problem, i merely stated that driver support at the moment is limited, but of course this will be resolved with the official release. I accept that generally any new OS will have these issues.

Fortunately my system is way above the "recommended minimum".

As i said earlier i dual boot it with XP. I use Vista as my main OS but retain the XP option just incase there are any problems.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio View Post
    If you use an old PC then use an old OS - the OS that was designed for that level of hardware. New OSes are designed to accomodate features and abilities of modern hardware and future hardware. I don't see a problem.
    New OSes should also be able to accomodate older hardware as well. After all for an OS to be successful it should be installed on as many machines as possible.... To force a customer to upgrade their entire system to suit the OS seems more like Apple than Microsoft.

The problem lies in the millions of old computers that will go into the landfill because they won't run on Windows Vista. If you don't see a problem in that you need to take a visit to one of the "recycling centers" for PC material in China Pakistan, or India...

http://www.greenpeace.org/internatio...y-contaminates

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    well just got the 64bit vista from our works msdn. gonna install that probably tomorrow and see how much faster or more stable it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger View Post
    New OSes should also be able to accomodate older hardware as well. After all for an OS to be successful it should be installed on as many machines as possible.... To force a customer to upgrade their entire system to suit the OS seems more like Apple than Microsoft.

The problem lies in the millions of old computers that will go into the landfill because they won't run on Windows Vista. If you don't see a problem in that you need to take a visit to one of the "recycling centers" for PC material in China Pakistan, or India...

http://www.greenpeace.org/internatio...y-contaminates
    Oh well we can disagree then. Last time I looked no-one was being forced to run Vista.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Back to the topic. I just installed 5744, on the same PIII 1.0ghz machine with 512MB of ram, and the install went well. However it took forever.

The machine boots fine, sees all the hardware and works great. I will be testing it a bit more tonight but so far so good.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    I'm with Rev on this one.....

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    Who is that directed at?

I didn't say it was a problem, i merely stated that driver support at the moment is limited, but of course this will be resolved with the official release. I accept that generally any new OS will have these issues.

Fortunately my system is way above the "recommended minimum".

As i said earlier i dual boot it with XP. I use Vista as my main OS but retain the XP option just incase there are any problems.
    again I am with the Rev.....

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

I have been testing various builds ogf Vista for the last 7 months and I do planto upgrade to it maybe by next July.
    Last edited by Gary; October 16th, 2006 at 01:06 AM.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by egghead View Post
    yes moving to Windows Vista as soon as openvpn works like XP.....
    got openvpn working fine and love the OS.

only problem left is that I do not know how to add all my outlook messages and settings from the other hard drived to the new outlook in vista.

once i can do that i will no longer need to reboot to other hard drive to check my mail.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger View Post
    That's quite a jump. And that's the bare minimum.

How do you go from 1.5 GB of hard disk space to 15GB???? And from 128MB of ram to 512MB???? And from a processor speed of 233mhz to 800mhz????

Please tell me why an Operating System needs 15GB of space? And at the bare minimum you don't get the aero effects as well.
    wow that is a jump... I think it is to force cheap people like myself to purchase better systems in order to use the internet. I mean if I am getting this all correctly, they won't be offering support in 2008 so a person like myself using a system that is unable to make the jump will effectively be shut out.
    Last edited by bionicblond; October 21st, 2006 at 03:46 AM.
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

Please people get over this forcing you to use Vista rubbish, nobody is forcing anybody to use Vista. If you have older hardware you can use a myriad of OSes which will operate just fine on it.

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    But then they'd have to find another dead horse to beat.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt