Thread: Motherboard replacement problem

Motherboard replacement problem

I recently had my gigabyte motherboard die on me and I replaced it with an ASUS am2. I have winxp pro and when I rebooted it with the old hard drive it will not work. Can anyone help me?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    What kind of error are you getting? Does it not start at all? Is it hanging? Is there a bluescreen? Does it reboot automatically? Can you boot into safemode?

Wouldn't he need to do a repair of XP to allow him to install the new motherboard drivers?

If i understand the post right he originally had a gigabyte which died and replaced with an ASUS and he simply plugged the drive in which is still using the gigabyte drivers.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

Thanks,
    Yes I had a Gigabyte motherboard and did replace it with a ASUS. After I replaced it I heard a boot beep and I can get into the setup screen but my floppy disc will not work (driver?). If I let the program run to windows xp it SOMETIMES starts then crashes saying it encountered a fatal flaw. I have tried to update the bios but in the setup program but I am not able to do it because no floppy access . I guess my only recourse is to get a boot disc upgrade the bios from ASUS and then attempt a repair of XP. I really would not like to format. Would this work?
    M R

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    The problems are the chipset drivers are not the same for the Asus board as the Gigabyte.For example VIA vs.N Force drivers. If you have a spare drive then you could start over with a fresh install and use your old drive as a slave to transfer the files you need.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Try this:

Boot to safemode, delete any and all drivers in the driver manager panel and then restart.

Upon restart, the Computer should find your new hardware and install it. But this is dependent upon the fact that your computer can boot into safemode.

If not, bhxtyrant's suggestion will work.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try this . I hope it works.