Thread: Lock Bumping

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

holy crap that is scary

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I had forgoten about this lol

Good posting, I did not know about it. And being a single parent I am probably definately the one that needs to know about something like this. Thank you for the post Rik.
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I was soon to purchase a new set of locks for my mother's house. I will be buying the more expensive "bump resistant" locks... but resistant doesn't sound like "Proof"... i'd be more interested in a bump proof lock.

Well, like anything else we need to be realistic about all of this. Don't get me wrong, bump resistant locks seem to be worth the price but...Locks are there to keep honest people honest.

If someone wants inside your house, car, etc. They will get in somehow. Hammers are probably easier to get than bump keys and they do a good job on glass windows.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Which would you rather have though rik? One that's easily bumped or not?

I suppose that is true@Rik's comment. But I would think that this is something the professional "dinner type" thief would be into, you know the one with a little bit of brains who does not want to be detected. I think he would know more or less what he is going after, you know 1 million dollar house that has diamonds in it or something. No one would go through that much trouble to get into my house and if they did they would be sorely disappointed for all their work...

Speech is
    Blondie

I don't have sound so can only see the video. Does the audio add much?

Well, yeah I guess it does. Explains everything that's being done.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    To exemplify into this topic. My door lock it is bump resistant. I have a heck of a lock in the door (3 way lock) but
    someone tried to get into my house soon after I moved (3 weeks) thru the window. Downstairs neighbor saw it and chase would be thief with a 38.
    Here proof best anti thief is 38 (BTW stupid thief tried to come in while I was in NYC, Sunday during the day, so he probably knew I wasn't at home because there was no car in the parking lot....and to add, my window is visible from across the street and can even be seen from the police station).
    Point number 2, last time I drunk outside my house and in a bar (which I do in extremely rare cases) I got drunk as hell.....and my neighbor as well. He tried to come in thru the same window because I lost my house keys [mind you, there are together with the car keys], He wasn't able because I nailed shut the window, but it would have not matter because I broke the door wide open with my shoulder (I had to replace the frame next day to able to close the door to my apartment).
    What does this prove? A great lock is nothing without a sturdy frame.
    Point number 3, if you read this far you know I lost my house keys and my car keys. All of this happened at 4 AM. Another neighbor found my car keys at 6 AM when he was going to work, and came to my apartment and hung them in the key holder (inside the house since my door was wide open)
    Where did he find the keys?
    Well of course, at the ignition key, the car was running, and the windows down, plus music quite loud
    What does this prove? Against stupidity, a good lock, a good frame and nailed windows cannot protect. And to top it all, car running for 2 hours, Disturbed playing in the CD player, and car parked in the corner parking lot, same corner across diagonally from the police department ........
    Guess also that my car is manual, and according to my neighbor I was driving like crazy (only from 4 blocks). I did get stopped 3 blocks from my house in other times because one of my headlights went off while turning, and the other because "supposedly" I did not stop the car......mmmm manual car......first gear doesn't go unless I stop the car......so I can't see how I did not stop.
    OHHHH and finally, stupid neighbor run over my car (parked in the parking lot) destroy the car (I think he was quite high and I am not talking altitude) and a cop stopped 2 hours later while my brother was waiting downstairs for me and JUST asked, DID YOU DO THIS? Never asked for the car owner, didn't even bother to file a report, or asked if police was notified (I was doing the insurance claim at that time)

Lol @ Dech, you are too funny

Most burglars do not contemplate going into my house as I have 4 female dogs. I have the Amazon house all creatures are female. (I'm not sure how that happened). One of my dogs, Lady, specifically does not like males, young or old, but will tolerate them if I introduce them.
    Yes I will agree with you, a .38 is best deterent, but they usually don't find out about those until they are already in the house. Speaking of which here locally about a week ago, a 14 yr old boy shot an intruder that had tied up him and his mother and killed him (the would be thief) dead. You would think most thieves would think twice about that kind of stuff here considering that Texas is a concealed weapons state.
    Neighbor 3 doors down got burgurlarized but he chased em out of his house with his gun, they got away from him. Unfortunately for them when they tried it in another neighborhood about 5 miles away that owner got off a round into their shoulder and they were caught and arrested---this happened about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Oh, by the way, I do live in a decent neighborhood, just Texas is a gun totin' state.
    Last edited by bionicblond; October 19th, 2006 at 02:27 AM.

Speech is
    Blondie

Just put a sign on your door - "I have a loaded gun"

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    All thieves want to get in and out of your house as fast as they can,hence if bumping does that, then thieves will have bump keys.Bump resistance means it may take longer to enter or pass the lock,therefore I'm checking into replacing my standard locks.Dogs that growl at the door are probably the best deterent to thieves,and solicitors.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Just put a sign on your door - "I have a loaded gun"
    I have a sticker on my ADT sign that says "Warning,this house is protected by a big bad REBEL....just as good as loaded gun sign.

Speech is
    Blondie