Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New machine

New machine

New equipment due in today. I am upgrading my current duron 800 MHz box to a sempron 2800, 754 MB. Expecting a significant speed increase to Linux operations after this upgrade.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Awesome. Let us hear how it goes...

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    That should be like switching from a Ford Pinto to a Ferrari Enzo, be careful you don't crash that beast!

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Duron 800 to Semprom 2800+ Hummm Is it even possible? I guess they are stil in the same ZIP, right?

I had to change my plans a little. My favorite Linux distro is XandrOS. It choked during the install. It didn't recognize the hardware. I don't have a copy of 64 bit XandrOS. In fact, I am not sure that one exists.

My choices seemed to be that I would have to use another version of Linux on the beast or load XandrOS on my current windows machine, a XP 2600+. I chose the latter.

The xp 2600+ cpu provides a speedy platform for the linux.

Sadly the 754 Sempron machine is not yet working. Four attempts to install xp so far. It keeps choking while copying files to disk for installation. Tomorrow I will write "0's" to the drive and try again. A couple more installation failures and I may decide to locate a 64 bit distro of linux.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    I had to change my plans a little. My favorite Linux distro is XandrOS. It choked during the install. It didn't recognize the hardware. I don't have a copy of 64 bit XandrOS. In fact, I am not sure that one exists.

My choices seemed to be that I would have to use another version of Linux on the beast or load XandrOS on my current windows machine, a XP 2600+. I chose the latter.

Sadly the 754 Sempron machine is not yet working. Four attempts to install xp so far. It keeps choking while copying files to disk for installation. Tomorrow I will write "0's" to the drive and try again. A couple more installation failures and I may decide to locate a 64 bit distro of linux.
    http://www.enterprisenetworksandserv...y/art.php?2348

At $345 for the 64 bit version, I think I'll let that slide.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post

Make sure the Sempron is a 64bit cpu:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/201

I thought AMD 64bit cpu can be used in 32 bit mode? If that is the case you may be suffering from memory speed problems. Did you also upgrade the motherboard and ram? If you only pgraded the CPU then you must see if your ram is compatible with the higher bus speed sempron.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I had the Suse 64 bit installed for awhile...not many differences except that add-on app are harder to find.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    I had the Suse 64 bit installed for awhile...not many differences except that add-on app are harder to find.
    Yep same for me, and Linux has enough issues with 32bit drivers let alone 64bit.

You're an experienced Linux user, get PCLinuxOS MiniMe and build it the way you want. No bloat, plenty of optimized Kernals, drivers, dam fast.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Isn't PC Linux a 64 bit os?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Every time you ask a question doesn't that fall into "definition of insanity" ? and "doing the same thing over and over again" are you "expecting different results" other than the correct one ?

Isn't PC Linux a 64 bit os?
    Nope, its 32bit and to date 32bit is better than 64bit...isn't that insane ?

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Actually if I asked that question before,I just had a senor moment,because I forgot.The insanity quote is a reference to addictions that I dug up somewhere,and should not apply to brain farts,nor simply asking a question.You would be insane(temporarily) if you got drunk everyday(alcoholically) and kept telling yourself tommorrow I'll stay sober,but of course never did. That's my take on it anyway FG.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

LoL was J/K

Anyhoo, even though PCLOS is 32bit it still has optimized kernal for 64bit CPU's.

IMO I don't think anyone should strive for 64bit OS, not yet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by egghead View Post
    Make sure the Sempron is a 64bit cpu:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/201

I thought AMD 64bit cpu can be used in 32 bit mode? If that is the case you may be suffering from memory speed problems. Did you also upgrade the motherboard and ram? If you only pgraded the CPU then you must see if your ram is compatible with the higher bus speed sempron.
    Yes egghead, the sepmpron 754 is a 64 bit processor.

You did have some good suggestions. My memory was from two manufacturers. I ordered another 512 MB stick to have a matched pair. I also ordered a sata HD. Should not have made a difference, but I will leave no stone unturned.

I won't comment any more for a few days to allow parts time to get here.
    Last edited by efc; October 9th, 2006 at 00:45 AM.