Thread: Huge Panorama of Tokyo, Japan

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Arrow Huge Panorama of Tokyo, Japan

http://digitalarts.mindsocket.com.au/tokyo_pano/

The 84 images (14x6) for this panorama were shot from a Tokyo hotel room in March 2006.
    The camera used was a Canon 20D with a 17-85mm EF-S lens @ 85mm, and the images were stitched and post-processed using Hugin, autopano-sift, Nona and The GIMP. This scaled down version is 13000x5000 pixels.
    At first I thought, this was a crap link. The image looked too small to be a "huge panorama" until I started to zoom in. Then I realized how large it truly is. Take a look at raw Tokyo.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    wow, that is amazing BB!

i like the sports centre on top of the building!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    have you guys checked out maps.live.com you can do a tilt to make it 2d and zoom pretty close. I zoomed all the way to my car.

Your car?! no way... hmm.. do they have overseas locations or just USA?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Not easy to do you know, it requires taking the shots carefully then stiching it. I have done a wider but less deep panaroma of my city at night though. Too big to upload.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

I thought it was amazing. It must have taken quite a bit of time to set it up, get the perfect shots (my question is how does the photographer deal with the sun changing and lighting and all of that?)...

i wonder if its possible to make a mechanical tripod... ie. electric stepper motor to rotate and shift downwards... like a type-writer... so u take a photo... click next, the tripod moves, then take next photo etc etc... should only take 90 seconds or however long to take a snaphot and move the camera

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Actually it done using either a tripod or it can be done hand-held. You take the shots you want in sucession but not take them at the widest angle you camera has; you want to keep detail. Then you go over to photoshop and patch up the photos manually by putting them all as layers into one file, compare the contrast, colours and lighting of each layer, select ther best layer ann then manipulate the other layers to look the same. Patch it up side by side by rotating and turning as needed to line the images up, touch it up and viola!

Ok, I resized my panaroma and uploaded it for viewing. Its just a panaroma of Singapore City taken from the Benjamin Shears Bridge. To the left is Marina Bay and to the right is the Esplanade. I didn't fix the errors in the pic like lens flare and slighty warped horizon. Not too good a panaroma but my first sucessful one.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Where's the link Josh?

~Chesterfield

Quote Originally Posted by joshsiao View Post
    Nupe, Imageshack is blocked at work.

WOW josh! that is amazing... great photos! how long was the exposure for?! I have a few panorama shots, but not yet stitched together.. is Photoshop the best program for it?

What camera did u use?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Sorry for a long reply interval, I just left for Korea for 9 days on the 4th and just returned.

I used a Canon 30D and with their EF-S 18-55mm kit lens.
    ~Chesterfield