Thread: Military Commissions Act

Banned

Military Commissions Act

I know political posts are not allowed here, though many posts have been allowed that could be construed as political. I hope this will be allowed. It's about the Military Commissions Act: "Habeas Corpus? Gone. The Geneva Conventions? Optional." It's about the systematic destruction of all the values that made the US great, while a President lies: "Your words are lies, Sir. They are lies, that imperil us all" and a whole nation lives "as if in a trance". Keith Olberman is one of very, very few US broadcasters who tell it like it is, and this is how it is:

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Olb...-RIPHabeus.wmv (WMV)

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Olb...-RIPHabeus.mov (QT)

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/1...s-are-lies-sir (transcript)

Please don't let this thread degenerate into the usual "Liberals are soft on terrorism" tripe. The simple facts are that Habeas Corpus is gone in the US, article 3 of the Geneva Convention is gone in the US. It matters. Please don't give anyone reason to delete this thread.

Thanks.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    The links for me are not working. So I just copied and then pasted them and then it worked fine.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikto View Post
    I know political posts are not allowed here.
    Yep.

Please don't give anyone reason to delete this thread.

Then drop it. It's "Tech"zonez...not "Polit"zonez.

Rik,
    Did you watch the video? I did, and thought the MSNBC reporter was prophetic, comparing past events that were similar to what is happening in the Bush administration. Wilson, Roosevelt, etc... all having passed legislation that later turned out to do more harm than good.

Maybe Nikto has a point about this Military Commissions Act... it doesn't at first sound too harmful until you start to see what they can actually do.

"Habeas Corpus? Gone. The Geneva Conventions? Optional."

Those two points make this law seem silly. How can we treat war criminals without Habeas Corpus and make the Geneva Conventions optional? Imagine if you were taken prisoner in a foreign country and these rights were denied to you.

How can America expect the world to treat our POWs fairly if we don't do the same in return?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Maybe Nikto has a point about this Military Commissions Act.
    No maybe's about it, rik DID make his point about the Forum Rules

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Not even gonna bite on this one guys......rules are rules...

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post
    No maybe's about it, rik DID make his point about the Forum Rules
    He still has a point... without the maybe. Everyone has a point. Just like your point is "Rik pointed out so poignantly that there are pointed rules that we can point to when we have a point about a rule violation that has been pointed out to us"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    It's not Chatzonez, either, but there is a General Chat forum. Maybe you should just delete every post there as very few have anything to do with 'Tech' topics. Personally I think the abolition of Habeas Corpus and ignoring Article 3 of The Geneva Convention is worth 'chatting' about.

Habeas Corpus has been abolished in the US. You have nothing to say about this. Torture is now permissible in the US. You have nothing to say about this. All you have to say is that political posts are against the rules. I find that very sad and more than slightly worrying.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    It's not Chatzonez, either, but there is a General Chat forum. Maybe you should just delete every post there as very few have anything to do with 'Tech' topics.
    Nikto, you've been with us a long time and from what i've seen you're an educated man, but i think even you will agree your reply was a tad irrational.

Yes there is a General Chat forum which can be for both tech or non tech discussion. As the description says, "Chat about anything not covered by the other forums here."

Therefore in most cases if any "tech" questions appear in the chat forum they will normally be moved to a relevant alternative forum.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    It's not Chatzonez, either, but there is a General Chat forum. Maybe you should just delete every post there as very few have anything to do with 'Tech' topics. Personally I think the abolition of Habeas Corpus and ignoring Article 3 of The Geneva Convention is worth 'chatting' about.

Habeas Corpus has been abolished in the US. You have nothing to say about this. Torture is now permissible in the US. You have nothing to say about this. All you have to say is that political posts are against the rules. I find that very sad and more than slightly worrying.
    We are all tempted to outsource our anger at the injustices that are becoming more and more visible.I watched this subject discussed on the Bill Maher show last week and I was appalled also.Forum rules are forum rules however and it is not permitted here at TZ right now.We tried it already and it becomes an uncontrollable bash fest.I'm sure the mods are not going to spend all their time refereeing.If you watch the political debates on a show like Bill Maher's,you may observe how skilled he is at moderating his guests.Our mods are not trained or talented enough nor do they want to be(that's the picture I got back then).I myself appreciate your hypervigilance about injustices Nikto and hope you find an outlet.We should all take it to the streets again.
    Last edited by zipp51; October 23rd, 2006 at 19:37 PM.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    Nikto, you've been with us a long time and from what i've seen you're an educated man, but i think even you will agree your reply was a tad irrational.

Yes there is a General Chat forum which can be for both tech or non tech discussion. As the description says, "Chat about anything not covered by the other forums here."

Therefore in most cases if any "tech" questions appear in the chat forum they will normally be moved to a relevant alternative forum.
    Not irrational at all, Rev. Here's what rik said:
    The implication is clear: this board is for Tech posts, and Tech posts only.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    we'll have to agree to differ.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    changes that can impact the world negativily like this should be in views of all as you have done Nikto. I was not aware that this act is now law and it will bring new terrible studies that will be created simply to discover the most effective way of getting the truth from someone by demanding to them that they will wish they had died instead and now really making them wish that.

Egghead

Information and knowledge must be promoted so we as leaders can take baby steps in the right direction to stand tall.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I have closed this thread. It does violate the policies of our non-political chat. I will be going through and closing many others. And I personally will refrain from posting anything of a political nature.