Thread: Outlook Express not sending out msgs.

Outlook Express not sending out msgs.

Hello, I thought "Outlook Express" forum closer? But there was no "Start New Thread" button, so...

(winXP Pro; OE 6.0; IE 6.0; Dell Dimension XPS T450MHz Pentium III; Norton AV)

Outlook Express is not sending out my msgs and for the last 2 days they have been accumulating in the Outbox. All other OE functions work properly. For the last 2 days I've been on the phone with my server (RCN) and they couldn't help. They sent a technician, he tried to fix it and couldn't . He then called RCN himself and they couldn't help. These are the errors I receive each time I try to send my messages:

Error on one account:

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'Perplexed at your communication!', Account: 'pop.rcn.com', Server: 'smtp.rcn.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '530 Authentication required', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

Error on the other account:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'Fw: BRAVO JILL ROBINSON for GREAT SYMPOSIUM to HELP CHINESE CATS/DOGS!!!!!!!!!', Account: 'pop.rcn.com', Server: 'smtp.rcn.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '452 #4.5.3 Too many recipients.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 452, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
    The "one of the recipients was rejected", it says it in each and all the messages. (They should revise their error msgs!)

As to "too many recipients" (452), I was told on the phone I can send up to 400 per message per hour... but my list consists of only 230 recipients!!!

What I did: I moved those messages from the outbox to a temporary folder, leaving only one in the outbox ...It didn't get sent out! I split the list in two and sent it out twice...still didn't get sent out!

I'm at the end of the rope...hope someone knows what to do? So sorry for lengthy message, and thanks so very much for any help! Adela

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Moved to Internet Explorer/Outlook Express forum.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

OE not sending out messages...

Hello Reverend, and thanks for moving my problem to the proper forum: the "Internet Explorer/Outlook Express"...and after searching for this forum: (it's not in the "forum Jump" list), I finally found it here...but I see again your message that this has been "Moved to Internet Explorer/Outlook Express Forum"(?).

Is there, perhaps, another "Internet Explorer/Outlook Express"? I ask because in the past in this or other forums I see forum lists that are no longer in use and instead they direct you to another one...

I'd appreciate your clarifying? Thanks again! Adela

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    It is in the forum jump. (see attachment)

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Are you sending out mass mailings? Perhaps your account(s) have been blacklisted by the SMTP server?

Are you using any mail filters? Perhaps an errant filter is preventing you from sending out mail.

Have you tried disabling the antivirus software? It is known that some interfer with the function of Outlook Express/Outlook.

Have you given Thunderbird or Eudora a chance? I recently made the switch to Thunderbird and am pleased so far:

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/show...6&postcount=12

(that post outlines how to setup Thunderbird with Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo... but your provider email should be as simple to setup as long as you have the POP3/IMAP/SMTP server info, an account name and password, etc...

It could be a problem with Outlook Express. Trying Thunderbird will either confirm or deny that possibility.

Thank you Big Booger!
    Are you sending out mass mailings? Perhaps your account(s) have been blacklisted by the SMTP server?
    My biggest "mass emailings" are only about 230 recipients! And even when I split this amount, I still got the same error msg! But whether my account was blacklisted by the SMTP server...I don't know. How can I find out? Is MY server the server of SMTP too?
    Are you using any mail filters?
    Not that I know, except for the standard ones that all servers use...and which I never understood.
    Have you tried disabling the antivirus software?
    I tried disabling my Norton Anti Virus, but I can't find WHERE the "disable" button is. Could you direct me please?
    Have you given Thunderbird or Eudora a chance?
    I'm going to try Thunderbird or Eudora though I hadn't so far because I thought they are WEB emails (which I detest)...are they? I opened a gmail so if it doesn't work with OE I'll use that one...which I don't like not only because it's a WEB email and has too busy an interface but also because it didn't accept my list of recipients either!!! No error msg explaning.

Thank you again! Adela

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    To find out if you've been blacklisted via your ISPs server, contact your ISP and make an inquiry directly with them over the phone or through email. (honestly I doubt this is it, but you never know.)

The server you use to send out email can either be from your ISP, a web-based email account, or if you are an advanced emailer, one you've created yourself using software.

To turn off email scanning in Norton:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01082921552806

To complete disable Norton AV (temporarily):

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT.../1997121131456

Note: Only do that temporarily to test if the AV is messing with the sending of email.

Note2: It may be necessary to complete remove Norton.. but I would hold off on that until you've tried to disable the two ways noted above.

As for Thunderbird and Eudora, they are neither web-based email services. They are similar to Outlook/Outlook Express in that they hand functions of sending and receiving email amongst other things. I recently made the switch to Thunderbird and am thrilled with it.

About Thunderbird with download:
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

More about Eudora with download:
    http://www.eudora.com/download/

Having gone thru not being to get messages sent, I found out the source of my problem. The first message means that port 25 on your computer is blocked. This is the port thru which emails go. In my case it was being blocked by an ex ISP. By ex I mean we had an account in the past but they failed to purge their system of it when it was cancelled. Then when they started blocking port 25 to reduce the sending of spam, we were blocked because they thought we were sending mail thru other than their server. (the server of our current ISP)

We got it taken care of after dealing with a number of parties and a number of technicians.

Good Luck,

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger View Post
    To find out if you've been blacklisted via your ISPs server, contact your ISP and make an inquiry directly with them over the phone or through email...The server you use to send out email can either be from your ISP, a web-based email account, or...

As for Thunderbird and Eudora, they are neither web-based email services. They are similar to Outlook/Outlook Express in that they hand functions of sending and receiving email amongst other things. I recently made the switch to Thunderbird and am thrilled with it.
    Hello Booger and thank you for your usual valuable advice! Whenever I call my server asking or complaining about unacceptable interferences...they always blame someone else, like OE or MS or Me! and I get nowhere! Asking to speak to a supervisor is a project that may last months!!!

I was happy to know Thunderbird and Eudora aren't web based and was going to explore them...but came across a (new to me) listserv which will e-mail ALL my addresses with no problem. I was going to try Intellicontact for about $8 or so per month! for 500 names and about 3000 times (or messages?), but meantime someone on my list said she can keep a listserv I choose for me at no cost so I need to ask her how, etc. I'm going away this Tue. so I'll wait for my return to ask a few questions, like: will she or they be able to SEE the names on my list? Or, is their method where, when a person on the list writes, all others on the list receive it too? Both of which I wouldn't like... Do you hapen to know how a listserv works?

To Roshermoore:
    The first message means that port 25 on your computer is blocked. This is the port thru which emails go. In my case it was being blocked by an ex ISP. By ex I mean we had an account in the past but they failed to purge their system of it when it was cancelled. Then when they started blocking port 25 to reduce the sending of spam, we were blocked because they thought we were sending mail thru other than their server. (the server of our current ISP)
    Thanks so much for this info! I didn't know how twisted all of this can be, with so many "owners" one has to deal with AND not knowing for sure which of them does what, where, etc... I think it's such a travesty that those of us who do not send spam (all the people on my list requested me to be on it, or I don't want them) should have to pay with aggravating delays and other more serious interferences! The only reason I don't change servers (I believe my only alternative is Time Warner) is the fear or finding the same (or worse) behavior and on top of it going through the pains of transferring files, changing names, etc. Oh dear, please forgive all this ranting!

Thanks again to both! Adela