Thread: Download Accelerators

Download Accelerators

For some reason, my computer, when I use download accelerators, the software is not able to split the file im downloading so that the speed increases, it happens for all of the download accelerators. Does anyone know why and how to fix it? I would greatly appreciate it.
    thanks

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Have you tried using the Firefox download accelerator (download them all)

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/201/

Requires firefox, but it is worth a shot.

Also I remember windows XP had some problem with a max of 10 connections at a time or something:

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497

That shows how to fix it.

ok, thanks, but ill have to do it a couple days from now.

Hmm, I ran the patch and it did not work. I ran it in safe mode because I can not run it in Safe mode + command prompt.. if you could tell me how to? It might have gone back to 10.. or it just doesnt work..

Whoops, sorry for double post, forgot i can edit my last one.

vincee are you using windows XP with SP2?

Workaround to install the patch:
    stop the anti-virus
    download
    reboot
    F8 - safe mode + command prompt
    apply patch
    From the comments section of that patch.

Also do you have a firewall installed? That could also block the connections for your download accelerator.

Yeah, I am using SP2, I do not have a firewall..
    Safe mode + command prompt... I am not able to run the patch with the command prompt for some reason...

I could install that patch directly from Xp without going into safemode:

Worked perfectly and I too am using SP2. (it asked me to insert the XP CD, something you shouldn't do if you want the patch to work.)

I got help from my friend, I am able to apply patch and everything. Still does not work.

The patch is not the reason why my download accelerators are not working..

Then I say check any firewall, router setting, network setting, etc....

Did you try the firefox + Download them all extension?

Yeah, I did same thing.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    have you tested the download software on your friends computer to see if it actually has the multiple servers available for your file?

Many accellerator software I tried never seem to do anything more than resume downloads

worth it to troubleshoot further.
    Last edited by egghead; October 29th, 2006 at 03:45 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I have, I tried using same download accelerator on same file and his would work and everything.

Vincee, do you have any routers or firewalls installed? If so they might be interfering with the function of the download accelerator.

Other than that, I say pop in your XP disk, format and see if that clears it up (this might be extreme but it just might solve your problem as well).

Before taking that measure I would exhaust all possibilities, like updating your NIC drivers, checking your next properties paying attention to the duplex mode it is in, etc...

I would download all the latest XP updates, and make sure that your computer is not infested with spyware or adware (even though this might have nothing to do with your problem).

I would then disable any software based firewalls or even uninstall them. I would remove or disable antivirus software as well.

If you are connecting through a router, then I would remove the router (temporarily) and direct connect to the modem.

Consequently if nothing seems to work, perhaps only a format and reinstall can solve it.

Hmm, the built in firewall that sp2 provides does not work, when i double click to try to disable it says "windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the windows firewall/Internet connection sharing service?" so i click yes but then theres an error and it doesnt work..
    so i go to run, type in services.msc to try to start it manually and the error still wont let me start it.
    But I don't think this has to do with my download accelerators, cause I think it is disabled anyways.
    Last edited by vincee; November 4th, 2006 at 23:40 PM.