Thread: A Videochat program won't install

A Videochat program won't install

It works fine on my computer at home but it will not install on either of the 2 XP computers my son has (in Germany). Both of those computers meet the requirements of the program which was downloaded from www.buzz3D.com I contacted the tech department of the site but they are quite sure the problem is NOT at their end. Here is the message I get when I try to install the program:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction

Can someone give me some good leads as to how I can solve this problem? Microsoft talked away about NTVDM but mentioned nothing about this specific message. Pretty sure it's not a virus...Avast found nothing.

The program I downloaded from the site was titled: Buzz 3D VideoChat listed under the heading 'Downloads' at the site.
    Last edited by wumply; October 24th, 2006 at 21:02 PM.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    if its definately not a virus/trojan

Go to Start > Run and type sfc /scannow (remember to leave a space between sfc and the forward slash.). Hit enter.

That command will search for and replace any files that may have been corrupted when installing the chat program.

Alternatively he could try reinstalling the program.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    if I remember correctly its spyware. When I was doing tech support one of our apps is 16bit and we use to get this message and it was due to spyware. Hey stripe you remember what spyware it was linked to? try updating your spware defs and do a scan. we use to have our customers do an online scan at trendmicro or housecall sites.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    if stripe doesnt get here I'll ask my buddy tomorrow at work. I think the fix was to go to C:\WINDOWS\repair and copy the autoexec.nt file to your c:\WINDOWS\system32 folder overriding the infected one. this will fix the issue until you reboot and the spyware rewrites the file again. Thus doing a spywarescan first killing the bad boy then copying the autoexec.nt.

Well, upon reading the foregoing responses, I ran Avast. I ran Trend Micro. No viruses found. Trend Micro did find two spyware/grayware items and I deleted those. I also ran Trojan Hunter--again, no trojan found. I use my Sygate firewall all the time, and I use CounterSpy all the time. To all appearanes at least I'm clean.

So per Reverend, I ran SFC /Scannow. It ran without incident, the progress bar filled and vanished. I assumed all was well re Scannow.

Well, I deleted the Buzz3d program exe file and redownloaded that. When I attempted to install it again, I got the same message/response as in my previous post on this thread.

Phish: I didn't try your fix of your 2nd. post because of its impracticality--having to overwrite the autoexec.nt file each time.

Back before June this program installed and ran beautifully. In late June I did a clean Install of Windows XPSP2, and all my other programs worked just fine. But the clean reinstall meant I had to reinstall the Buzz3D program. Which I did; it was at this point I discovered that the error message occurred on the 2 different computers my son had in Germany as well as on MY computer.

That all translates to "the program hasn't run on 3 separate computers." Do you think it could be that something is amiss with the exe file? I asked the tech dept. of the site about this but they clearly did not think so and suggested it was most likely a virus and recommended that I do a thorough check for virus/spyware etc. Which, as I stated didn't solve my problem. I've asked a friend to try installing the program on his computer but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. If it won't install for him, that will make a total of 4 computers.

Is it likely that a virus exists and has escaped detection? But again on 3 computers?

PS; Many Hours later: I tried copying the autoexec.nt file into C:\Windows\System32 folder and then trying to run my videochat exe program. But I still got the NTVDM Mesage.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I doubt this will work, but I'd try reinstalling it again. This time however, right click the .exe file that you use to launch the application, and select properties (make sure it is the exectuable and not the shortcut).

Then try to run it in compatibility mode using windows 98, or Windows 2000.

I doubt it will fix your issue, but it's worth a shot.

I'd try that, BB, except that the only O/S I have on my computer is XP. Since my last post I've typed "NTVDM has performed an illegal operation" into Google and there are a humungus # of links there. But many are dead ends--because no real good answers appeared. The most promising (in my opinion) suggested some hijacking had occurred, and I guess one could run Hijack This. I found a site where I could ask questions and registered, but never got a validating email, even with a re-request for such. (You needed such an email to complete registration.) So I wrote them a letter on their site's form, but after I clicked 'suibmit' the form disappeared so I could not tell if it acdtually was submitted. So now I wait. (The site was http://forums.tomcoyote.org.) I knew hijacking was when you get taken to an address you did not enter, but Whatis.com said it was also when an attacker intercepted a communication between a server and a client. When you run Hijack This, I guess you get a long, long, long list often of stuff--and the site I referred to says it's complicated but they can help you interpret it if you send it to them. But am I unable to install my Videochat progrram because someone is hijacking my communications with another computer? It seems far-fetched but I don't know enough to know. I often feel like searching for answrs is like wandering lost in the woods with only a partially-working compass. Don't mind me...I'm just frustrated at the moment because my other problem is that MSIE keeps telling me that to view a video I need Flashplayer, but I HAVE Flashplayer--it's in Add/Remove. It's also in Firefox, integrated in Firefox, and there it works fine.

Should you be interested in the details of my other problem, see "What is going on with IE" in the Internet Explorer/Outlook Express Forum---note: Phish undertook to respond to this one but has yet to get back to me.

On the bright side, I thought I'd lost all my Dragon Naturally Speaking Files, but I HADN'T!!!!![/I]
    Last edited by wumply; November 7th, 2006 at 04:19 AM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Wump,
    To run in compatibility mode, you must have windows XP. In windows Xp you can right click an executable file (.exe) and select properties. Then in the properties window you will see tabs at the top. One is the compatibility tab. CLick it, in the compatibility mode, then scroll down the list of compatible OSes (usually windows 98 will do) and then click apply and Ok. Or just OK.

Then in the future when you run that program it will try to emulate the windows 98 environment when you run.

I really doubt this will solve your problem, but it's a quick and effortless thing to try.

Perhaps though running Hijackthis to determine if you've been infected is a good idea. That should find any nasties that are tucked up under your OS.