Thread: of McAfee/ZoneLabs and...

Titanium Member TZ Veteran Denyse's Avatar

Exclamation of McAfee/ZoneLabs and...

This past week, my updates to McAfee ended. OK, it had been a year, and I felt instead of renewing I would get the new version (v11) of the software.

Well, it seems, (and I have been on the support board) that the new version of McAfee, will not install if Zone Alarm is present on the computer. I have tried about 4 different installs, thanks to users there, and staff at McAfee all to now avail what so ever.

Of, course they (McAfee) tell me their product is so much superior that I should only use it. But, my only experience with their firewall was less that spectatular. So, I never used it again. I have been happy with Zone Alarm Pro, so as such I do not want to stop using it.

I have been reading the boards, and see that the Zone Labs anti-virus leaves a lot to be desired. I have heard some "rumors" that the new version will have the Kaspersky Anti-Virus engine; but I know very little about it.

Since it appears that I will have to now, not pick and chose what products I want to use on my own computer, but have to use a full security suite, I am at a loss.

I know for sure I do not want to use Symantec/Norton for reasons I do not want to get into.

Thus, I am asking you the ladies and gentlemen guru's of this board... what should I do now?

Help me, please techzonez, you are my only hope... (sorry Princess Leah).

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I have E-Trust EZ Firewall v. 5.1.xxx.xxxx (which is really just Zone Alarm) and Avast AV running on a system together and working just fine. Avast did groan a bit during install saying that the 2 were incompatable, but it installed anyway and both are doing well.

There are many respectable and good value products in both the firewall and Antivirus categories. You could get a year subscription to CA antivirus for nowt if you click the link in the Vista security control panel or this one - FREE AV. No-one said it only works on Vista plus of course it is from the EZ range so should play nice with ZA.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I have been reading the boards, and see that the Zone Labs anti-virus leaves a lot to be desired.
    Its the same AV (CA antivirus) that Curio links to.

Comodo firewall is free and many say its the best firewall free or paid.

ZA free, Sygate free, XP firewall are all excellent. XP firewall doesn't have outbound protection but that shouldn't matter if you use good AV and are spyware free.

IMO you don't need to pay for firewall or AV.

Avast!

AntiVir

AOL AVS ( Kaspersky)

Titanium Member TZ Veteran Denyse's Avatar
    After turning to someone I trust very much, who is in the Computer Security business, I left the fold of Zone Labs.

He got me a copy, it is legit, of McAfee 3in1 and installed it onto my machine, with the promise to remove it and get me something else if I did not like it.

Well, as much as I hate to admit it, he was right. I do like the combined program from them. Seems to have all of the features that I like, just a bit to get used to the new way of things being done.

No slow downs, and I feel very protected. Besides, a "gentleman" at the Zone Labs support site, made a dumb broad crack, maybe in jest, but I do not need it.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post
    Its the same AV (CA antivirus) that Curio links to.

Comodo firewall is free and many say its the best firewall free or paid.

ZA free, Sygate free, XP firewall are all excellent. XP firewall doesn't have outbound protection but that shouldn't matter if you use good AV and are spyware free.

IMO you don't need to pay for firewall or AV.

Avast!

AntiVir

AOL AVS ( Kaspersky)
    I ditched Sygate and currently trying out Comodo firewall now. So far so good.

CA is the proud owner of the VB100% award so I would think it is sound, they do a separate AntiSpyware product though so it probably does not do very well on all malware.

McAfee is very good at the moment - I never been a big fan of ZoneAlarm. My only problem with McAfee is the built in nag system.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?