177 days ago, the 2006 season of Doctor Who was in full swing and it was one of the best television series I had ever seen. Slowly at first, but ever more often, references began popping up there, regarding the mysterious institution of Torchwood.

Torchwood would be the long-announced spin-off to Doctor Who and was announced to air on 22 October 2006.

I could hardly wait back then and I spent a bleak couple of summer months staring at my desktop countdown widget set to launch time Sunday last.

But one day, browsing the excellent Torchwood Blog, my hopes were shattered: the series was going to air on BBC Three: a channel that my cable provider does not cover. Was I going to miss out on what I had begun to regard as a must-see experience?
View: The Complete Blog about Torchwood

Wikipedia Torchwood Article:
Torchwood is a British television science fiction and crime drama created by Russell T. Davies and starring John Barrowman and Eve Myles dealing with the machinations and activities of the fictional Torchwood Institute. An initial 13-part series was commissioned by the BBC as a spin-off from the long-running science fiction series Doctor Who.

An in-house BBC Wales production for digital television station BBC Three, it is the first television spin-off of Doctor Who since the unsuccessful pilot of K-9 and Company in 1981 and the first to be commissioned for a full series. The Canadian network CBC is co-producer of the series, with exclusive rights to broadcast the North American premiere of the show.[1]

The title "Torchwood" is an anagram of "Doctor Who". (The name was used as the "codename" for the new series of Who while filming its first few episodes and on the 'rushes' tapes to ensure they were not intercepted. The name was subsequently used in the series, leading to this spin-off.) BBC Wales Head of Drama Julie Gardner serves as executive producer alongside Davies. The first two episodes of Torchwood premiered on October 22, 2006 at 9pm on BBC Three with all subsequent episodes scheduled to be shown at 10pm every Sunday evening. Each episode is repeated on BBC Two every Wednesday at 9pm.
Torchwood Episode Guide:

1. Everything Changes
First aired: 10/22/2006
Writer: Russell T. Davies
Director: Brian Kelly (II)
Guest star: Paul Kasey (Weevil), Jams Thomas (Hospital Porter), Dion Davis (Officer), Gwyn Vaughan-Jones (DI Jacobs), Jason May (Scenes of Crime Officer), Tom Price (PC Andy), Guy Lewis (Young Cop), Kai Owen (Rhys Williams), Rhys Swinburn ("John Tucker" Body), Olwen Medi (Yvonne)
Global rating: 8.7

When Torchwood arrives on the scene of a brutal murder, WPC Gwen Cooper's burning curiosity is challenged. Their attitude, their approach and their technology is at odds with everything she believes in. But investigating the investigators leads her into a dark, paranoid world she never imagined existed.