Thread: Pictures emailed on OE are received huge

Unhappy Pictures emailed on OE are received huge

No one has an answer for this, so I'm hoping one of you guys do.

I have emailed pictures from the File and Folder Tasks in My Pictures and they email just fine size wise. When I email from Outlook Express using Attach or Insert, the picture size goes from kb's to mb's. How is this happening and why? It took 25 minutes for a friend of mine to download 5 pictures I sent.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    What are the file extensions of the images you are trying to send?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    When you use the "Email this file" option in the tasks pane it gives you the option to reduce the size of the images. (see attached image)

Make sure you are selecting the correct option.

Either "Make the my pictures smaller" or "Keep the original sizes".

My guess is you are choosing the "smaller" option, hence thats why they are in kb's.

However, if you insert or attach a picture directly into your mail it will retain the full original size.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    If you have MS Office 2003 You might try using the MS Office Picture Manager to email your pictures. I have found that tool most useful.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...017211033.aspx

Once you have finished editing your pictures, you may want to share them with your workgroup. You can send pictures in e-mail messages or create a shared picture library for a rich collaboration experience that features simplified administration and role-based permissioning, as well as a unique picture management model that enables users to download picture versions at any size or resolution, while efficiently storing the original pictures. When sharing pictures, keep in mind that you can also compress files to a size that is most efficient for the way you intend to use the picture. Smaller file sizes will display more quickly on a Web page, take up less disk space, and, if you are sharing pictures by sending them in an e-mail message, can be delivered faster.

Big Booger, do not know how to answer your question on file extensions of the images I am trying to send. I am very new to computers - one month - so basically I need it spelled out for me. Could you ask me that question in a different way?

Whenever you make an image file they are saved in various formats.These formats end with an extension such as .jpg,.gif,.psd,.bmp,ect.All you have to do is browse to the image you want left click and choose properties.Near the top it should tell you the file type.

Alternatly you can turn on the show file extensions options by clicking "Tools",Then Folder Options in the menu.Then click the "View" tab and select the option to show File Extensions in the list.Which will make all files show there extension such as "image1.jpg"
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; October 30th, 2006 at 02:03 AM.

Mystified, welcome to TZ. If you are new to computers we can help! In no time you'll be puttering around on the web like Steve Jobs or Bill Gates.

This site:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_extensions

explains in great detail what a file extension is. Every file on your computer has an extension. Image files are usually jpg, jpeg, png, bmp, tiff, gif, psd, etc as Bhxtyrant pointed out.

each one has different properties and compressions styles that change the way an image looks and how big it actually is.

Take a look at the attachment (the picture at the end of this message) to see two examples of file extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    When you use the "Email this file" option in the tasks pane it gives you the option to reduce the size of the images. (see attached image)

Make sure you are selecting the correct option.

Either "Make the my pictures smaller" or "Keep the original sizes".

My guess is you are choosing the "smaller" option, hence thats why they are in kb's.

However, if you insert or attach a picture directly into your mail it will retain the full original size.

I think this is the solution to your problem.

Reverend, yes, I am using "Make my pictures smaller" option in the "Email this file". That's working fine. The only problem emailing pictures that way is you can only send one at a time per email. So what you are saying regarding inserting or attaching a picture directly into mail is that the picture will retain it's full original size and there are no options in OE to change this. So then all pictures emailed from OE will be huge?

Well a good question is,what are the images you are attempting to send from?Are they taken from a digital Camera?Perhaps a scanner?If so this could be your problem.Depending on the size options of the image it could make the file size very large.For example when i scan images i do so at the highest quality usually giving me images which can easily be between 2-5MB,same goes for digital camera images.

Big Booger, to finally answer your question on file extension of my images; they are all jpeg.

It is surprising that a Jpeg is large. Most of my jpegs are under 1-2mb each. And if you use a program like Photoshop you can even shrink the size down even smaller.

My recommendation is to get the images you want to send, put them in a folder, and then put the folder in a compressed format (like .ZIP, .RAR etc..) and then send that as an attachment.

(compressing a document is less convenient for the receiver but with it you can send many many files, depending on the size limit of your email provider/size limit of the receiver.

If you are interested in creating a compressed archive (.zip/.rar) I am sure we can help with that... but it's kind of inconvenient.

A better way to send images would be to create an online photo album, where you will store your images, and then send a link to a friend via email. When they get the email they can then go to the album site and view your pictures.

Something like:
    http://www.myphotoalbum.com/

New: Upload and Share Video
    100's of Personalized Designs and Layouts
    High Quality Prints- 15 FREE Printsfor New Members
    Unlimited Photo Storageand Albums
    Get Others Involved with Voting & Comments
    FREE Photo and Video Sharing
    http://www.kodakgallery.com/
    Kodak's online photo sharing site.

http://www.picturetrail.com/

PictureTrail Account Highlights
    Following are some of the great account options to help make your photo sharing experience fun and easy!

Batch Picture Uploader - Upload more than one picture at a time in batch mode. Once you scan pictures to your computer, upload them directly to your PictureTrail account using your web browser.

Photo Sharing Slideshow - The pics in each album can be viewed in slideshow mode. This excellent option allows you to add background graphics and vary the speed of the rotating images. View a slideshow example to get an idea how it works.

Make Prints - Make 4x6 prints from your images at competitive prices.

Post to Other Sites - Post photos to other sites such as chat rooms and message boards.

Support for Ebay and Yahoo Auctions - Manage auction photos from your easy to use photo account. You will find instructions in member area.

Picture View Stats - Log into the members area and check to see how many times each picture has been viewed. This will give you great info on which of your pictures are the most popular with friends and family.

Add music to your albums - Add midi sound to each of your albums to enhance the viewing pleasure for friends and family.

Send digital Postcards - You and your visitors can also send digital postcards of pictures while viewing your albums.

Rotating pics for each album - On the Intro page for each album in your account you can select some of the pics in that album to show up in rotating fashion with cool fadeout effects.

Photo Sharing Flexible Privacy Options - Password protect your albums with a unique password for each album. You can also use safeguards to prevent visitors from copying your pictures.
    I know this doesn't sort out your trouble, but it is another solution you can try.

My pictures are from a digital camera. I just quickly reviewed the pictures in My Pictures files and most of the jpegs are under 2MB. Many are KBs.

Big Booger, I will try doing a compressed format folder and send from OE. Hope this will work. If not, I will try your other suggestion to create an online photo album. I will let you know how it goes. And I want to thank all of you who responded to my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTIFIED View Post
    My pictures are from a digital camera. I just quickly reviewed the pictures in My Pictures files and most of the jpegs are under 2MB. Many are KBs.

Big Booger, I will try doing a compressed format folder and send from OE. Hope this will work. If not, I will try your other suggestion to create an online photo album. I will let you know how it goes. And I want to thank all of you who responded to my questions.
    Please keep us informed of your progress.