Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for replacment antivirus

Looking for replacment antivirus

Hey guys,
    Today my Norton Systemworks 2005 subscription ended.I thought about upgrading to 2007 but since Norton is a system hog thought i might look for a free suitable replacement.I know alot of firewall/antivirus programs have changed in the past year so the question which has been asked so many times before is what is the currently reigning Antivirus software out there?

Any opinions especially with people who have expierience with the one they recommend would be great.Thanks.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Norton 2007 is much better than 2005

what is the currently reigning Antivirus software out there?
    For virus/trojan detection that would be AntiVir free, if you throw in spyware it would be Kaspersky, you can get it free in AOL AVS Yes you can have the best protection for FREE!

Paid AV's

Kaspersky
    F-Secure
    Norton 2007
    NOD32
    BitDefender

When F-PROT v4 comes out it will kick some serious butt.

Thanks FG i will check those out,I always for some unknown reason liked Nortons way of doing things so if these are anything close as far as auto updates and such that will be awsome.Spyware/Adware isn't an issue as i use other programs for it which have kept me spyware free for years.

Lol i lousy at picking stuff like this so i always turn to those with expierience so FG out of the two you listed above which would you use?
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; October 30th, 2006 at 03:24 AM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Avast

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    Avast
    yes rik I use avast!

I use avast! it has 100% ITW detection and does a nice job on all the zoo samples. avast! WebShield is the nuts. avast! has never let me down and I'm a bad boy....

ol i lousy at picking stuff like this so i always turn to those with expierience so FG out of the two you listed above which would you use?
    Since they are free why not try them both out (along with avast!) and see which one you like the best and runs the best on your PC.

If you'd like I'll pick the order in which to try them

Avast!
    AntiVir
    AOL AVS

[edit] In truth, I'd use any of the AV's listed in this thread and feel safe doing so. It pretty much comes down to what runs the best on your PC & GUI stuff......
    Last edited by FastGame; October 30th, 2006 at 04:23 AM.

Well really for me rather then try them all and pick which one i like the best i'd always trust the word of the guys here at TZ.In the end it doesnt matter which one i like the best but rather which serves the best protection.I've managed to keep my PC completely Virus free for going on 6 years and would hate to start getting them now i have seen avast before and have a friend who uses it so i think i will give that a run.But always interesting to see what else is out there as well.

In the end it doesnt matter which one i like the best but rather which serves the best protection.
    I'm not going to steer anyone wrong in this area, "best protection" would be the AOL AVS for free, IMHO.

What ever you try be sure to ask if you have problems or questions about settings, we can help before you ditch the AV as a dud.
    Last edited by FastGame; October 30th, 2006 at 04:41 AM.

Yep i know that for a fact which is why i first ask here with any questions.Well i just uninstalled my Norton 2005,and installed Avast 4.Everything went well except Avast told me there may be an issue with Zone Alarm (which i use for firewall) and recommended me to disable "invisible proxy mode" i believe it was.So i did that and so far seems to be working fine.Updated virus Definitions.Looked around the settings and all seems pretty simple.

Im suprised that the AOL one would give best protection considering how crappy AOL's ISP service is lol.What makes this the best by the way?

Im suprised that the AOL one would give best protection considering how crappy AOL's ISP service is lol.What makes this the best by the way
    Because AOL just put its skin on Kaspersky 6 Av, then they pack their AOL tool bar in the installer, you can choose not to install (good advice ) the tool bar during the install.

But yeah I'm sure peeps stay away because of the AOL thing
    Last edited by FastGame; October 30th, 2006 at 05:10 AM.

Ah i see,I thought it looked rather familiar when i checked the webpage lol.And yeah definently don't install toolbars.All they serve to do is clutter up the browser and are quite annoying.I have a friend that had like every toolbar avalible installed for some odd reason.Quite annoying to say the least.Almost takes up half of the IE window lol.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post
    When F-PROT v4 comes out it will kick some serious butt.
    That quote is from Oct 2006 (a little old) but v6 is out... is there a free version or only paid?

Is avast home v4.7 the best av at the moment? I dont think it was tested in that avcomparitive... i remember you also said the AOL AVS is pretty good (KAV re-badging) ??

any new ideas?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Avast was tested at av-comparitives. It made "Advanced" so its pretty good.

AOL AVS is re-branded KAV, so you get KAV detection for free

AntiVir (free or paid) is one of the best.

F-PROT v6 did get much better, I made that prediction off the fact they hired one of the best AV guys (x-NOD32 man) in the world. Free versions are for non MS.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    thx FG, i installed avast Home 4.7 last nite, and it seems ok... but i was getting constant high cpu usuage (but when i check TaskManager, there are no process using CPU? - is there hidden processes?)

I reset a few times, and it dropped CPU usage a little (from 30% to 20%) but thats still too high. Are there settings i should change for real-time scanners?

I use CA VET on my normal laptop, and uses almost 0% ... is that because its only an on-demand scanner, not realtime?

I'll keep experimenting around

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hey cash,Im currently using Avast latest version as well but i havent noticed any high CPU usage.Very strange indeed i'll keep an eye on mine to see if it does it as well ad post back.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cash_site View Post
    thx FG, i installed avast Home 4.7 last nite, and it seems ok... but i was getting constant high cpu usuage (but when i check TaskManager, there are no process using CPU? - is there hidden processes?)

I reset a few times, and it dropped CPU usage a little (from 30% to 20%) but thats still too high. Are there settings i should change for real-time scanners?

I use CA VET on my normal laptop, and uses almost 0% ... is that because its only an on-demand scanner, not realtime?

I'll keep experimenting around
    Maybe it's conflicting with your firewall? Been using Avast for a couple of years now and never had any CPU usage problems related to it.