Thread: Mainframes making a comeback

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Post Mainframes making a comeback

Cheap little servers handle so much of the Internet's dirty work that giant computers known as mainframes, which debuted 50 years ago and often cost more than $1 million, are supposed to be passe.

When Hoplon Infotainment, a startup video game company in Brazil, let it be known that it uses a mainframe to operate its signature online game, "People would actually take a step back and say, 'What? Did I hear correctly?"' said Tarquinio Teles, Hoplon's CEO.

Yet mainframes are inspiring new ways of doing things at organizations like Hoplon. The trend is driven by and anxiously watched at IBM Corp., which makes the vast majority of the world's remaining mainframes and continues to be hugely reliant on them.

With some of these costing 500,000, I don't know... You can certainly by a crap load of servers for that price... Still having a mainframe just makes you old skool cool!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Software Paradise
    I wonder if there is a market for second/third hand mainframes... i wouldnt mind an old deep blue in a few years

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---