Thread: How do I open an Access XP database using Open Office Base?

How do I open an Access XP database using Open Office Base?

I use Windows XP SP2, and want to open an Access XP database that has a password on it.

I have only Access 97, and so installed Open Office 2 to try to use Base to open the XP database and maybe convert it to Access 97 format. However the steps below do not work, and I'd be grateful for the advice of you Open Office experts.

Start Open Office Base, and the Database Wizard comes up.
    Select 'Connect to an existing database' and select 'Microsoft Access'.
    Click Next.
    Click Browse, select the XP database, and click Open.
    Click Next.
    Click Finish.
    Click Save to save as a new OpenDocument database. (Not sure why this is necessary.)
    The OpenDocument database name shows in the Base title bar.
    Click Tables, and an error comes up 'The connection to the data source (the OpenDocument database) could not be established.'
    Click More.
    Click Error, and the description is 'SQL Status: 3031 Error code: -2147217843 Not a valid password.'

Why was there no prompt for a password?

Also, why is Base creating a new database in OpenDocument format when all I want to do is open the XP database? Does this mean that Base cannot handle Microsoft Access databases directly but can only convert these to its own OpenDocument format for update purposes?

COnverting an Access XP database to Access 97 format

Just to let people know ... I found an easy way to convert the Access XP database to an Access 97 database by installing Access 2007 from Office 2007 beta and then using Access 2007 to read the XP database and export each table to a 97 database.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Thanks for the tip. I am sure it will prove useful for those in the same predicament that you were perplexed by.

Bronze Member