Thread: Dell Latitude C400 shuts off randomly

Dell Latitude C400 shuts off randomly

I just bought a Dell Latitude C400. It shuts off for no apparent reason, totally randomly. It does it whether I have it plugged in or not, it does it whether the battery is in it or not, and it does it whether the wireless card is inserted or not. The battery is fully charged, and in my effort to figure out what's causing this, I went ahead and changed all power-saving settings so that no part of the computer will ever shut off or hibernate or anything. Sometimes it does it immediately before it's even done starting up, sometimes it lets me work normally for a while then it suddenly shuts down, etc. Basically I haven't found any pattern whatsoever. One time I was able to work on it for several hours without any problems. Then another time, in the exact same circumstances, it kept shutting off before even completing the startup process. Oh one more thing -- the computer doesn't feel particularly hot or anything when it shuts off, just normal.
    Any advice? Any simple fix, before I take it back to the store and tell them they sold me a lemon?
    Last edited by lbindyvoter; November 11th, 2006 at 19:50 PM. Reason: added another detail

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Call dell, and try to work out an RMA. If the machine is relatively new, then why bother? Sounds like it's a hardware related problem, though I could be wrong. If I purchased a new laptop and it started randomly rebooting I'd send it back ASAP.

thanks for the advice... before getting off my ass and going back to the store (tiny ma & pop computer store) I was keeping my fingers crossed that there was some kind of settings issue... the thing is, it was the only one of its kind in the store and the specs & price were perfect for my needs. They sell reconditioned stuff, used stuff, etc., and the salesman told me this machine was one that had been sold in bulk to some company for its employees and then the company didn't need all 1000 or whatever so 20 or so were sold to this shop and this machine was the last one of that batch. He said it had never actually been used.
    Is that a common BS story concocted to sell lemon computers? I wouldn't be surprised. So, if I take the computer back, what do you think should I not buy from this guy again?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    You got a lemon it sounds like to me. As for the story, I don't know if it is BS or not. However why should you have to troubleshoot a new computer? I think you paid money for something that you expect to work and it doesn't why waste your time?

I'd take it back and see what the store manager says. If they can exchange it or even repair it, that would be ideal.