Thread: Removing DVD's from their cases

Bronze Member

Removing DVD's from their cases

The other day I bought a DVD and when I opened the case, I almost broke the DVD trying to get it out. In a moment of complete frustration I actually contemplated trying to get it out with a pair of pliers. But sanity prevailed and I ended up (with a pen) breaking one of the tiny tabs that held the DVD in place to finally free it.

It's a good thing DVD's are flexible or I would have snapped it in half for sure. Now I'm thinking did I warp the disk bending and twisting it to free it from it's seemingly titanium case cover? It played fine so I guess I'm Ok.

Anybody ever snap a DVD trying to free it? or have a similar experience trying to get a DVD out?

Thanks
    Halder

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I have had some problems getting the cd's or dvd's out of the case but not to the extent that you describe.Which brand are you using Halder?Is the problem with the disc itself,or the case mount.Just for the hay of it try a different brand of each.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Bronze Member

No particular brand

Thanks for the reply. I could have been clearer in my original post but I was writing of movie DVD's that I purchase online or at stores.

They are a bugger to remove some times.

Halder

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    A lot of people try to twist and lever the DVD off of the spindle. (please note i am not suggesting you are one of those people)

Most DVD cases are designed so that you just depress the centre spindle and this will loosen the grip on DVD.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I actually use a large marker to press the center spindle that helps me release the DVD from the case. A simple large marker about the same diameter or a little smaller pressed against the spindle releases the pressure and allows you to remove it.

Something like this: