Thread: paging file problems?!?

Unhappy paging file problems?!?

Hello...

Hoping you could help me out. I am having a major problem with my paging file. Every time I log on, I am told that windows had to create a temporary one. I try to reset it with the correct parameters and each time they do not take. I try to let windows manage it, but that never takes either. I think my paging file is missing! How do I create a new one? Do you have any recommendations on how to fix this issue?

Thanks

Okay mr.j here are a few options for you to try, both should help you with your current page file problem.
    First of the best way to get a more stable system is to allow windows to control the page file size, you should only adjusting the size of your page file if you seriously know what you are doing.
    Check Control Panel>system>Advanced Tab
    performance:>settings>advanced
    look at virtual memory: and it should show the size of your current page file. The minimum size is 2MB but the total size of all pagefiles should be at least the size of memory + 11MB.
    To change the size or remove and add a page file click on th e>change button.
    A list of all partitions and the size of any pagefiles that exist will be listed next to them. To modify the size of an existing pagefile select the drive, e.g. c: and in the "Paging File Size for Selected Drive" enter a new Initial and Maximum size. Click Set when you have changed the values.If you want to add an additional page file, select a drive that does not currently have a pagefile, e.g. d:, enter an initial and maximum and then click Set.

XP gives you the option of not using the pagefile if you have more than 512MB of RAM. To disable the pagefile, perform the following steps:

1. Start the Control Panel System applet (go to Start, Settings,
    2. Control Panel, and click System).
    3. Select the Advanced tab.
    4. Under the Performance section, click Settings.
    5. Select the Advanced tab.
    6. Under the Virtual Memory section, click Change.
    7. Select No Paging File and click Set.
    8. Click OK.

However Microsoft has implemented a feature that will clear the page file but they do not have it enabled by default. Please note, this will slightly increase the amount of time it takes to shut down your computer but it is well worth it.

1. Start Regedit
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    3. Select ClearPageFileAtShutdown from the list on the right.
    4. Right on it and select Modify.
    5. Change the value to 1 to enable.
    6. Reboot your computer.

goodluck please use this advice at your own risk and ensure that you always create a restore point before making significant changes to your system
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    If what Zero wrote doesn't help I have listed a few more things you can try. Most likely however, what Zero has said should fix the issue.

http://www.exchangeadmin.com/Article...ArticleID=8907

The article above discusses this in detail but it's dealing with windows NT.

Now what I would suggest you try are the following:
    A.) system restore
    B.) start, run, then type sfc /scannow (make sure your XP disk is handy)
    C.) use the webpage above and use the utility listed on that page to boot into NT/XP and delete the pagefile, then let windows create a new one...
    D.) reinstall XP but use the repair the current installation option
    E.) clean format, installing XP afresh with SP1

Hope that helps,
    BB

Welcome to Techzonez.

BB & Zero

Thank you both for your quick response. Somehow I must have thrown the wrench into my system. I am going to take the advice and try to fix my system when I get home from work.

Ever since this happened, it takes me much more time to boot the system on startup and the welcome page does not respond correctly when I choose me as the user to logon to and that is when I get the error message about my paging file being too small (or non-existent)...I usually have to hit ctr+alt+del. Hoepfully this will be corrected as well.

One question (Zero): What is the e>change button?

Thanks again.

sorry mr.j it was a typo
    th e>change button should read the>change button
    oopppss
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Zero...thx for clearing that up...I was focusing intensly on what you were saying and didn't really step back to look at how it was written! Thanks again. Hopefully I will have fun using my computer again.

Paging File problem reaking havoc

Last week BB & Zero were helpful in providing direction on my paging file problem:

I]Every time I log on, I am told that windows had to create a temporary one. I try to reset it with the correct parameters and each time they do not take. I try to let windows manage it, but that never takes either. I think my paging file is missing! How do I create a new one?[/I]

I attempted to work through each solution. Through the Control Pannel option, I made the switch in setting size, but each time I do it just won't stay that way. I also used my reinstal disk...went through the whole process hoping it would correct itself...it didn't.

I am at a loss what to do. I think that I don't have a paging file anymore and that is why the change in settings will not take.

I don't fault BB & Zero...I/my system is just screwed up. I also realized one other issue. When I go to "disk cleanup" and it starts to retrieve the file info...it never completes itself and cannot perform the function.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Check your ram. You could have faulty ram that is or has corrupted your page file, and every time you boot, it is giving you that message. This is the last thing I can think of at the moment. If something else comes to mind I will be sure to pass it along.
    The best way to check your ram is to take it to a local comp dealer, not a retail outlet, unless its best buy, they seem to do a nice job,
    and have them test it.
    It shouldn't cost you next to nothing to have your ram tested. Most places do it for free as a service.

Just an idea.
    BB

Thanks...I do get that message each time I boot.

one other Q: When having the RAM tested, do they have to pull apart my hard drive? I have a warranty (Dell) and I don't want to DQ it by having someone eelse do it?

Thx

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Originally posted by mr.j
    one other Q: When having the RAM tested, do they have to pull apart my hard drive? I have a warranty (Dell) and I don't want to DQ it by having someone eelse do it?

Thx
    No they don't need to touch the HD. If your computer is still under warranty have you called Dell support ? look in phone book and see if there's a Dell dealer near you....take it to them.

If you want to see if Windows really does have a page file go to disk defragment & see if there's a green line (unmovable files) thats the page file.

zErO and BB have given the correct advice so if your hardware checks out ok then it looks as if you need too do BB's last two suggestions..

D.) reinstall XP but use the repair the current installation option
    E.) clean format, installing XP afresh with SP1

Good luck & let us know how things turn out

Thanks , will do.