Thread: Question about Server Firewalls

Question about Server Firewalls

Hello,

I am an admin for a gaming clan, we rent dedicated boxes instead of gameservers.

I would like to know if there is a easy way to set up a firewall (or similar) for windows server 2003. I only want to block access to the server for individules who are on a ban list, but allow anyone else to access the servers for gaming.

We use game specific kickers, banning programs to keep the trash out, but it only kicks them after they have connected. I was thinking some kind of firewall may prevent them from even attempting to log in.

Any suggestions would be helpfull, please note I am not familiar with server firewalls, and from what I have read about the windows firewall built in, it only allows access via a "allowed user" list not a "banned user" list. That and it is either way above my ability, or may require more work than it is worth.

Thanks.

You can set up rules in the network interface to deny certain IP addresses or ranges of addresses. It can be quite a complicated setup but shouldn't prove that difficult. I would have thought there would be a configuration in the game server for that though.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    yep as Curio said.

A neat thing to try would be PeerGuardian, delete the contents of the block list and make your own with the banned IP's. This would seem to be alot of work for a busy server, I don't know of anything that automaticaly does this..

unless per Curio: "I would have thought there would be a configuration in the game server for that though"

Thanks for you input guys, I'll check out your suggestions.

papa