Thread: 20 yr veteran says "you don't need a firewall with a router"

20 yr veteran says "you don't need a firewall with a router"

This of course is not something I would advocate, specially if you P2P, however, I'd like to hear arguments from both sides.

I personally run an anti-virus and a firewall behind a router WITH Peerguardian. I know I am well protected, or at least for the most part, with this setup.

I would feel, well, NAKED without a firewall, even with the router. I haven't had a single virus, attack or problem since my configuration has been setup this way. Also, can P2P with no problem. And you may remember I was previously "smacked" via email and threatened with permanent disconnection last year.

Looking forward to hearing your views. I remember one time this gentleman was sitting at my house (at that time he was helping me with a program or something some years ago) pissing and moaning about me having an anti-virus program on my machine that it was slowing it down and causing problems. He inserted whatever disc he brought with him in my machine and up popped a screen saying it contained a virus.

He asked me for a copy of my anti-virus before he left.

I don't remember if he had any when he scanned his, but I think he might have thought he had a MAC or something.....

Thanks
    Sharon

I don't use a software firewall. Instead, I use a NAT router protected by a 128 bit password.

I do have the xp firewall active. Not for extra protection. The only reason it is active is to keep that aggravating shield icon out of the system tray.

A hardware firewall (as built into ALL routers) is completely superior to a software firewall. The basic reason for this is that the software firewall used on it's own is still a direct interface to your PC from the interweb whereas the hardware device really is a shield between your PC and the outside world.

When combined with NATting and private IP addressing and where possible egress filtering on the hardware device there really is absolutely NO comparison whatsoever.

Don't confuse Intrusion Detection with firewalling, many soft firewalls also have some kind of Intrusion Detection System which may be valid if your hardware FW cannot be set for egress filtering and your anti-virus (/anti-spyware/anti-trojan) is rubbish. If however you set your HWFW with only ports for your actual used services allowed out (web,mail,whatever) then that is very secure.

I can't offer a good argument against IDS in fact I recommend it on critical systems.

Security and function are a balance - there is no more secure PC than one that is turned off, but it is not very functional. For complete security there are hardware devices which cost a fortune and offer all kinds of filtering extras like those from Watchguard.

Last - time is not a measurement of skill or knowledge. I have worked with many people who have been rubbish at doing things they have been doing for 20 years (they don't get better they just do it badly for longer). On the other hand some people have a natural talent for certain things and can be excellent from day 1.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    time is not a measurement of skill or knowledge. I have worked with many people who have been rubbish at doing things they have been doing for 20 years (they don't get better they just do it badly for longer). On the other hand some people have a natural talent for certain things and can be excellent from day 1.
    Nice one Curio, so true

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio View Post
    Last - time is not a measurement of skill or knowledge. I have worked with many people who have been rubbish at doing things they have been doing for 20 years (they don't get better they just do it badly for longer). On the other hand some people have a natural talent for certain things and can be excellent from day 1.

QFT there Curio.

I actually rely on my router firewall most. I have a software firewall, but that's mainly to detect outgoing packets instead of incoming packets.

I agree,I have heard the arguments of how superior a Hardware firewall is compared to software but i always choose to use both for added protection even if it's not really needed.PErhaps it became a sort of habit but it works and thats all that matters.

Also agree on what Curio said.I know people that way as well that have done things longer then i have been alive but still know little to nothing when it comes down to it.Especially in reguards to PC's.One Person i know who has used PC's for ages (he's going on 55) and doesnt even know what linux is.Kinda made me laugh.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    QFT there Curio.

I actually rely on my router firewall most. I have a software firewall, but that's mainly to detect outgoing packets instead of incoming packets.
    Ditto