Thread: Why do I get these messages--what can I do about it?

Why do I get these messages--what can I do about it?

And do I really need to worry about it?

D:\Program Files\...\WISF34D9A5F484A4E31A9d3908CB2658289_5_6_2808.MSI

D:\Program Files\QuickTime\QuicktimePlayer.Resources\QuickTimePlayer.qtr

There were no such messages re the C-drive.

Avast said re both messages: "Unable to scan: The system cannot read from the specified device."

QuickTime and my computer are working just fine except for 1 minor problem at the moment, namely the Videochat program I'd like to install (and have before successfully installed and run) only says: "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction." when I try to install; it. But Avast found nothing amiss with that program reading viruses or reading it.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Wumpmeister,
    When do you get these error messages?

Sounds like to me something is trying to read from your D drive and it's not there. (assuming your programs and so on are installed on C, rather than D... it would seem that whatebver program you are using is pointed at the wrong drive)... but without knowing what you were doing when you got the message it's hard to come up with a guess.

Are you getting these messages while running an AV scan?

I got the messages as soon as Avast finished its scan of my C and D drives. I'd not intended to scan both drives...don't know if I screwed up somehow so that Avast was told to scan both--or if it was just one of those quirky things. Tell me, do quirky things happen to you for no discernible reason?

Anyhow, just for kicks I clearly told Avast this morning to scan just the D drive--after I got your reply. It did and only said "Unable to scan. Can't read from the specified device" re the WISF34D9A5F484A4E31A9d3908CB2658289_5_6_2808.MSI file.

So it read the Quicktime stuff this time. Isn't that weird? When I just ignore such messages (as I've often done in the past), nothing untold happens. But should I and can I in any practical sense, worry about some files not getting scanned. WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WERE ME?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    What device is located on your D drive? Is it a hard disk or an optical drive like a CDROM/DVDROM?

My D drive is a hard disk