Thread: Shockwave has performed an illegal opperation...

Angry Shockwave has performed an illegal opperation...

Is anyone else receiving an error message that Shockwave has performed an illegal operation and that Firefox strongly suggest that you close it. I keep getting this message on multiple safe sites that I have to go to. I am not sure why it is happening but after appearing about 10 times then that particular website in question becomes frozen, and I have to close the browser. It doesn't happen with Techzonez, but it does happen with my university site, yahoo mail, and my space.
    From what I can tell, I have the latest Firefox update installed and I'm using the latest version. I went to the Firefox site, but nothing was listed there. I have used a registry cleaner and it says that nothing is wrong, so I'm not sure what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure it is probably something very simple that I am overlooking to do.
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Have you tried reinstalling the shockwave player?

How to fix almost all Shockwave issues?

A version of Shockwave Player is pre-installed with some popular Internet browsers. Sometimes, damage to the Shockwave Player that's already installed can prevent your upgrading to the latest Shockwave Player. You can resolve almost all difficulties encountered with the Macromedia Shockwave Players by taking the following steps:
    To fix most Shockwave issues:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of your Internet browser. Download the latest versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer , Netscape Navigator /Communicator, and America Online at their web sites. If there is a more recent version, download its installer to your desktop. Don't run this installer yet.
    2. To uninstall the Shockwave player on Windows use the Add/Remove programs feature in the Control Panel to uninstall Shockwave. To uninstall the Shockwave player on a Macintosh OS, run the installer from the following link. This installer also contains an uninstaller:

Shockwave Player installer/uninstaller (Macintosh)

Save the uninstaller to your desktop, then quit/exit any applications you have open. Launch the uninstaller from your desktop and follow the instructions in the dialog boxes which appear.
    3. If you downloaded the installer for a more recent version of your Internet browser, launch that installer now and follow its instructions.
    4. Finally, reinstall the Shockwave Player.

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/

Note: If you are using Internet Explorer for Windows and no dialog boxes appear when attempting to download the Shockwave Player, you may be experiencing an issue with Microsoft's Install On Demand feature. Download the standalone installer available on the Shockwave download center under item 3.

If you had previously indicated to Internet Explorer that you did not wish to install the Macromedia web Players, Install On Demand will prevent their subsequent installation. You can undo this setting with the executables below:
    I've never experienced your problem but it could be due to a corruption in shockwave. I'd try reinstalling it and then see if that doesn't sort it out first.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    i didnt get that error, but i had to update to latest flash and shockwave players for IE7 and Firefox 2.0 , definitely try BB's suggestions.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks @BB. What would I do without you. I have tried it and will wait 5 mins see if I get the error again, probably not. I thought that the shockwave came with something else. It probably needed updating and as I don't use my IE 7 it doesn't get the needed updates on its own. I have IE 7 installed, I just don't like using it (it is there only for emergencies).

Speech is
    Blondie

ok, unfortunately I am still getting this weird error. I did reinstall shockwave from the site. I've ran alot of virus programs all are coming up empty, so I am not sure what to do. Any more ideas are greatly appreciated.

Speech is
    Blondie

You could try clearing all your cookies, temp files etc...

You could try completely removing firefox, all temp files, cookies, etc... uninstall shockwave and then reinstall from fresh.

I highly doubt this will fix it though. I'd try the cookies and temp files first.

http://www.answermysearches.com/inde...wave-flash/85/

Try this site. Seems the solution is there.

Especially:

I had the same problem for a while, and I was on the edge of switching to Opera or something. Some of the treads here however mentioned a virus infection, so I decided to dig in deeper. I used first the SpyBot and also the SuperAntiSpyware to remove files that they found. After that I used the above mentioned blacklight root kit eliminator to rename the two files it found, and after that I installed the newest Shockwave version. Everything seems to be solved now. Not only that, but my PC seems to be working somewhat faster now. Maybe it is too early to say, but I’ve been watching the YouTube videos for half hour now and not a single problem (used to freeze when I start a video). Good Luck to all, and thanks for the useful advice.

Bronze Member
    For "Shockwave Flash" ...

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash#Ille...ion_In_Plug-In

Adobe Flash (formerly Macromedia Flash) or simply "Flash", refers to the Flash Player and browser plugin needed to handle SWF web page animations and interactive content.
    The Shockwave player is the original Macromedia multimedia player and is often confused with the Flash player, as the name Shockwave was appended to the Flash player and Flash file format name for marketing reasons.
    Last edited by Kane; December 4th, 2006 at 18:37 PM.

Yeah. Thanks at Kane and BB. I finally ended up going and finding both, evidentially I had both Shockwaves or something and deleted them. After doing this some registry fixes, virus searches, and cc cleaner and downloading it again, now it works and no weird stuff.
    @ Kane, that would explain why there was two and I wasn't sure why that was. I have really got to pay more attention to the drive-by downloads......
    Thanks for all y'all's help...
    (Yes Blondie is a southern girl, no I do not drive a truck, gas too expensive)

Speech is
    Blondie

shockwave is still giving me problems!!!!!!! I looked in the error thing and it mentioned some file npswf32.dll So I searched the threads and discovered this file is probably the root of all hell. I am seeing what Wumply's outcome was.....

Speech is
    Blondie

tried many things but cant seem to get rid of this error. Read the entire info on another forum tried a rootkit, did not find anything, but still getting this error. I think I am going to try to just live with it for now, I do not want to attempt to reinstall windows. Based on an earlier thread that Wumply had, I am thinking this is the only other option.

Speech is
    Blondie

Have you tried by chance searching for that files npswf32.dll and making sure that plugin is installed and is located in:

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\NPSWF32.dll

Alternatively you could try deleting it but I doubt this will fix it.

Another problem could be a corrupt firefox profile (try creating a new one and see if this fixes the issue)

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new

Bronze Member
    Another problem could be a corrupt firefox profile (try creating a new one and see if this fixes the issue)

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new

Wait, have you tried this?

Illegal Operation In Plug-In

If certain web pages cause "Illegal Operation In Plug-In" errors that refer to "Shockwave Flash" and contain the message,
    The plugin performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised to restart Navigator (or Firefox):

=> The Mozilla ActiveX plugin can cause this error [6]. Removing the file "npmozax.dll" from the Firefox or Mozilla Suite installation directory plugins folder (see above) may stop the error.

=> Removing the files "GetFlash.exe" and "GetFlash.exe.manifest" from the Firefox or Mozilla Suite installation directory plugins folder and from the C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromed\Flash folder (if found) may stop the errors [7]

=> The problem is often resolved [8] by uninstalling Flash 8 or 9 and installing Flash 7 (on Windows, use the Netscape installer for Firefox and Mozilla Suite - see above).