Thread: NAS Box , slow on home network

(Deep in the wilds of) Leicestershire, UK

NAS Box , slow on home network

Just an explanation needed really as I understand there is no cure

I have 2 PCs one with XP Pro, one with XP Home networked via an ORIGO Router.

I recently bought (very cheap) a Maxtor Shared Storage Plus 320 gb NAS box for backups and storage. It works very well except for the fact that it is slow...............

If I transfer a file between PCs the utilisation is up around 60 - 70% but between a PC and the NAS box its down to 25 - 30%

There are no errors to speak of and I've tried swapping ports etc.

The NAS box is Linux I believe and there is an open version of the software Here but my knowledge of that operating system is nil.

Where or what is the bottleneck?

Thanks

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    well do you have it set to full duplex 100mbits?

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    well do you have it set to full duplex 100mbits?

The router? Yes

The NAS box? I'm not sure how I can tell............when I was an engineer you didn't wear flip flops on your feet they were circuit boards you put into an electro/mechanical device. Eight of them made a byte

I'll investigate but I guess I'll have to learn a something about Linux first.

NAS boxes contain a smaller version of the software which is usually not up to date or even complete. The Linux implementation of SMB / CIFS is obviously not the same as MS versions and errors occur during file transfers slowing them down. NAS boxes are not really made for ultimate speed just as a storage solution.

If you are just using a PC as a NAS solution not a proprietary NAS box then I would either use Windows on it or a full version of an up to date Linux - probably Ubuntu for ease of use.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

You shouldn't expect the same response speeds from any external drive as you get with any internal drive.

The only efficient use of a NAS drive is backup. It will always disappointment if you attempt to use it as a work drive.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    You shouldn't expect the same response speeds from any external drive as you get with any internal drive.

The only efficient use of a NAS drive is backup. It will always disappointment if you attempt to use it as a work drive.
    It's working fine as a backup device, if a little slow...............

I have found it's forte though. just recently I was given an old Xbox and following a guide on another forum converted it into a brilliant media centre using XBMC. The NAS box integrated very easily with it and I have a stack of divx files that play flawlessly on the Xbox which is connected via a high def cable to my TV

I am not a gamer but that sounds like a great tip to those that are.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition