December 8th, 2006, 22:09 PM
Java Permission Denied - [FIXED]
When trying to view an online car auction website (which uses Java to list details of each auction data line in a window pane to the right of the main window when I click on the data line), I have recently started getting an "error on page" message (when I check the error itself, it says "access denied"). I'm not sure what has changed in the system recently that should cause this. However, when I create a new user account in XP (Home, SP2, std firewall, Avast AV) and access the site through it, there are no problems. So, what will it be in the main user that I use all the time that has got it's knickers in a knot? I've deleted all the internet cache and cookies in IE 6 (after down-grading from IE 7), and reset IE to what I assume is "default" in all respects (except for my favourites). The site won't work properly in Firefox, so there's no help there. I will, if I have to, migrate all my data from my main user to the new test user I've set up, but it's such a hassle that I'd rather know how to fix the main one.
Thanks in advance.
December 8th, 2006, 22:17 PM
Check the firewall settings for that account.
December 8th, 2006, 22:24 PM
What specifically am I looking for? Wouldn't the Windows firewall settings be the same globally for all admin-rights users? Thanks.
December 8th, 2006, 22:42 PM
I just tried turning the firewall off so that the computer only has AV protection and restarted IE - no change. I don't think it has anything to do with the firewall - it's some shitty Java / VM thing I reckon. Someone out there must have some idea as how to fix this, surely?
December 8th, 2006, 23:13 PM
Patience. Allow for the different time zones.
Originally Posted by Island_Boy_77
Try reinstalling Java. http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_ie.jsp
December 8th, 2006, 23:35 PM
Thanks - tried that. Perhaps a bit of background:
1) Did clean install one month ago, used Autoupdater to load majority of updates, then MS Update. Loaded Java RuntimeEnvironment_126.96.36.199. Did not test website at this time.
3) 3 weeks ago installed RevIQ Real Estate software (www.reviq.com) - software installed some variation of SQL during install.
2) 2.5 weeks ago, discovered "favourite" website not working. Upgraded IE to 7 and WMP to 11 (just because...).
4) Yesterday, in conjunction with help from tech support at website (aucsat.co.nz), discovered that Microsoft VM not installed (no idea how that happened). Uninstalled RevIQ, ZoneAlarm, IE 7 and WMP 11. Installed MS VM 5 from download and updated from MS Update. Still no joy.
5) Today. Discovered that making new user fixed problem.
1) How could MS VM get "uninstalled"?
2) Since the aucsat page is aspx with Java on it, and MS VM is now re-installed, why no go?
3) Why does a new user fix what appears to be a system-type error? i.e. not a firewall problem
4) Is it possible that the RevIQ SQL (even though now uninstalled) changed something only in the one user account?
5) Could some setting have been altered using Autoupdater that would have caused a prob? Note that I used the same update procedure on 2 other machines (both running XP Pro SP2 - one P4 2.8, one dual AMD X2) and they have no probs (and both are also running IE 7 and WMP 11).