Thread: I can't seem to think anything else but a hardware problem.

I can't seem to think anything else but a hardware problem.

Hi everyone.

I've just put together a great new computer with all the cool stuffs. The HD is completely fresh. But I could not install window XP.

the MB detects the HDD and the dvd-rom just fine but it continously display:

"Error booting from CD/DVD drive. Press any key to reboot"

Whenever I put the window xp cd in there.

Now I've tried the same dvd-rom, same cable and new cable, with the same window xp cd on the another computer and they work wonderfully.

My friend said maybe I misplaced my cable. I put the cable for HDD at IED 1 and IED 2 for the dvd-rom drive correctly, checked if I have any losen cables but can't seem to figure out the problem.

Please help! I've read some of the similar posts who had the same problem but none of them have a fresh system, fresh HDD like I do so there really isn't a window xp already in the Harddrive to recover to.

thanks

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Check your jumper setting on the HD and set it to master if it is not already there.And if it is on master setting then remove it altogether.It may even work on CS(cable select),but the idea is to try all the settings,maybe they are labelled wrong or something.Let us know.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by zipp51 View Post
    Check your jumper setting on the HD and set it to master if it is not already there.And if it is on master setting then remove it altogether.It may even work on CS(cable select),but the idea is to try all the settings,maybe they are labelled wrong or something.Let us know.
    Yes sir will do.

By the way I did set the jumper to master and plug it in at master end of the cable.

It turns out it might be that the MB does not recognize my dvd burner.

Weird because I put together another computer for a friend using this same dvd burner to install the window xp.

My new computer is working fine now but feel a little empty since all my data, games, movies *cough* are in the old HDD.

Is there a fast way to directly transfer file to the new computer? beside putting it into a disc.

Windows XP has a "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" i never used it before but would imagine it to be the easiest option.

As for your problem good to hear it's working but reagurding the problem not happening with a friends PC my guess would be the motherboard (assuming he has a diffferent MB then your PC) all are different and some can be picky with jumper settings.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    yeah just hook the old drive up and move the files.

Simple precuation;

You should have 2 IDE ports. Put the HDD on one, (Primary master) and the CDROM drive on the other Secondary IDE port (regardless of jumper settings).

Set to boot from CDROM, and try.
    One day I bled,
    And felt Better