Thread: I got a real problem here. Dumb me!

I got a real problem here. Dumb me!

I got the Abit il9 pro and core 2 duo 6400 at fry's but I didn't realize that this motherboard does not have IDE 2.

After placing the CPU and the rams in, I found out there are no place for me to put my DVD drive cable.

I'm not familiar with SATA RAID and I checked both my harddrive and my dvd burner that they don't have sata plugs.

What should I do?

How can I install window xp from the HDD? make a bootable HDD.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    isnt that the IDE to the left of the floppy controller right above your pwer.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    Sure looks like it to me lol

Unless he means he needs 2x IDE slots like on older MB's.If thats the case you could buy an expansion PCI card to give you 2 additional IDE connections totaling 4 devices.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; December 25th, 2006 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    dude that's the motherboard power supply plug.

Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant View Post
    Sure looks like it to me lol

Unless he means he needs 2x IDE slots like on older MB's.If thats the case you could buy an expansion PCI card to give you 2 additional IDE connections totaling 4 devices.
    What??? Yeah I probably mean the 2x IDE slots like the older MB. MB today almost all of them still carry 2 IDE slots. What is that PCI card that you're talking about? got a link?

Quote Originally Posted by basketballdunke View Post

See image

Most motherboards i see today are turning to using Sata over IDE,some still have 2 IDE but many have one.

Each IDE slot supports 2 IDE devices Hard Drives,CD/DVD roms,ect.Looks like you have a IDE slot there so you can easily connect your DVD burner and hard drive up but if you have more IDE devices then that you can look at a PCI IDE expansion card which are pretty cheap no more then about $30.It's a PCI card which has additional IDE connections on it so you can connect 4 more devices.I use one in my PC.I'll see if i can find you a link.

Here ya go http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816124001
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; December 25th, 2006 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant View Post
    Most motherboards i see today are turning to using Sata over IDE,some still have 2 IDE but many have one.

Each IDE slot supports 2 IDE devices Hard Drives,CD/DVD roms,ect.Looks like you have a IDE slot there so you can easily connect your DVD burner and hard drive up but if you have more IDE devices then that you can look at a PCI IDE expansion card which are pretty cheap no more then about $30.It's a PCI card which has additional IDE connections on it so you can connect 4 more devices.I use one in my PC.I'll see if i can find you a link.

Here ya go http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816124001
    word?? thanks man sorry I know the HDD and DVD burner cables are the same but never thought they could be used on the same cable. LOL

Thanks i'll go and try now

word?? thanks man sorry I know the HDD and DVD burner cables are the same but never thought they could be used on the same cable. LOL

Thanks i'll go and try now
    No problem man,Glad to help.

He is talking about the plug identified as ATA 100. That is an IDE plug that can control 2 IDE devices. That means that you can have an IDE hard drive and a DVD. The Hard Drive will be the master and the DVD will be the slave. Make sure drive jumper pins are properly set.

There is also a solution that hasn't been suggested. Buy a SATA drive. Then you would set the DVD up as a second master.