Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is OCing

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    So how do you overclock just the RAM, aside from the "PAT" option of my board?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Adjust the latency timings and the interleave.
    Depending on your BIOS it should be under "Advanced Chipset Features" or similar.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Originally posted by Reverend
    Adjust the latency timings and the interleave.
    Depending on your BIOS it should be under "Advanced Chipset Features" or similar.
    I already have done that. Optimizing the timings have allowed me to run on "Turbo" mode. However my RAM is rated at 2.5 CAS Latency. I can only run "Ultra-Turbo" if my RAM is 2 CAS Latency. The only option here is to switch to Corsair RAM but it's too expensive of an option at the moment. I'd rather add another 512 mb of TwinMOS.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    try lowering the fsb and raising the cpu multiplier. and upping the cpu voltage.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Originally posted by Conan
    Well I upped my FSB to 215 and was almost hitting 3 Ghz. However, my onboard sound ceased to function at that speed! Why is that? Benched my CPU at that speed with Sandra and was blowing away both Intel 3.2 and AMD 3200.

I put it back to 205 now and my sound is functioning fine. So FastGame, care to guess what's with my sound?
    What is your divider set at ? 1:1. 3:2, 5:4 ??? what are you upping the FSB on ? cpu or ram or both ? anyway I searched the forum's and didn't see where peeps were reporting no sound with high FSB...there were plenty of people running over 230FSB so it must be a setting somewhere that needs to be changed.

Conan there are so many things you need to set that aren't the same as AMD...I don't have a clue as what needs to be done with INTEL so if you want to OC then you should hang out at an INTEL forum for a bit...or leave it stock for a month or two till I get mine

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    got a p4 1.7 ghz

not overclocking at all and very happy with the speed.

Thanks Conan for the tip about the 2.6

i am going to get that instead of the 3 ghz and save some serious doe

i used to overclock all the tme with my older celery dayz

Originally posted by FastGame
    What is your divider set at ? 1:1. 3:2, 5:4 ??? what are you upping the FSB on ? cpu or ram or both ? anyway I searched the forum's and didn't see where peeps were reporting no sound with high FSB...there were plenty of people running over 230FSB so it must be a setting somewhere that needs to be changed.

Conan there are so many things you need to set that aren't the same as AMD...I don't have a clue as what needs to be done with INTEL so if you want to OC then you should hang out at an INTEL forum for a bit...or leave it stock for a month or two till I get mine
    The divider or in my BIOS the "CPU Ratio Selection" seems to be locked, not sure if I can change it. I was upping the "CPU Bus Clock", which automatically raised the DDR Clock Mhz along with the "AGP/PCI Clock. I read though in my Overclocking Link that it's possible to lock the AGP/PCI at the lowest level at 33MHz and 66MHz.

So you're going to migrate to Intel in a month's time?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    what to do with that 2600xp...huh

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Wow, this post got a work out yesterday. It took me a while to read the updates to it

Interesting reading guys, great post

The divider or in my BIOS the "CPU Ratio Selection" seems to be locked, not sure if I can change it. I was upping the "CPU Bus Clock", which automatically raised the DDR Clock Mhz along with the "AGP/PCI Clock. I read though in my Overclocking Link that it's possible to lock the AGP/PCI at the lowest level at 33MHz and 66MHz.

So you're going to migrate to Intel in a month's time?
    Same here, anyway to lock the DDR clock @333 mhz, or, what?

Originally posted by Col
    Same here, anyway to lock the DDR clock @333 mhz, or, what?
    What motherboard are you using?

What motherboard are you using?
    MSI 865PE Neo2

Got to lock it, but it still goes up. Regretably, it also still won't boot, though I killed my system for a few moments.

Originally posted by Col
    MSI 865PE Neo2

Got to lock it, but it still goes up. Regretably, it also still won't boot, though I killed my system for a few moments.
    We have the same board. How were you able to lock the PCI/AGP bus? Did you do this through the BIOS or within Windows? What FSB did you set that caused the lockup? Did you relax the memory timings when you overclocked?
    Last edited by Conan; August 18th, 2003 at 08:23 AM.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    quote from Fastgame

All Thoroughbred "B's" and Bartons have unlocked multipliers you need a board that enables you to use them

In OC'n AMD it's the lower multipliers you want because you need to raise the FSB as high as you can and still run the CPU in sync with the ram. Your ASUS A7N8X-D should do this...

I must be doing something wrong because my system won't start and I have to clear the cmos with the jumper to get her going again.Have you also bumped up your core voltage Fastgame?I'm using Kingston HyperX 2700(512mb) single channel.If I leave my mutiplier at 12.5x and raise the FSB to 200 and raise the v-core from 1.69 to 1.85 I should get the speed to 2.5Ghz.Is that possible with the Barton 2800?
    Last edited by zipp51; August 18th, 2003 at 09:00 AM.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.