Thread: Show files being used?

Show files being used?

Is there any way to find what files are being uploaded or downloaded from the computer?

Thanks.
    Live long and prosper!

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    If you have Windows XP you can see which files are open, and the open pipes (connections).
    The information is much more complete in a domain, but I guess in workgroup will also work, go to Computer management (Control Panel, Administrative tools) and look in the section shared folders. See if that can help you.

What i meant was for internet use, is there a way of doing this through computer management too? or do i need a seperate app?

Thanks.
    Live long and prosper!

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    well, files uploaded or downloaded should still be thru that console. If you mean internet connections then you need a firewall like zonealarm, which monitors your Internet connection. It is kind of a broad question..if you could define it a little more, it would be easier to aim to a solution

Well, i think more or less what your saying. Ive installed mcafee firewall etc and it doesnt have a realtime update of whats going on.

Thanks.
    Live long and prosper!

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    do you mean packet sniffer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_sniffer
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by egghead View Post

Thanks for the reply and link
    It is what im looking for but still none of these apps listed have any files shown with them. It's the file location I was interested in.
    Live long and prosper!

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hi

maybe this thread is more of what you are looking for if it is only on your computer

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/show...hlight=filemon
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply again, been some help
    Ive taken a look at windows xp's goodies and found a cmd app called netstat, old app i guess shows u port access and what's open to where, but even this doesnt show the files either.

Filemon is a little strange too. It's not exactly what i was looking for however it does show what files are in use but I really wanted a i.net stats view.
    Live long and prosper!

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    You can use Process Explorer and I believe when you look at the detailed info of each file that's running, it'll tell you what internet activity that application is doing.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx

The port is opened by an application. The file is opened by an application. The port does not have a file open although the same application may have a file open which is being transferred from the open port.

Hence the application to show which files are opened to which ports does not exist but by comparing which application has which files open and which ports open you can make a semi-accurate guess.

Also the file may be stored in a temporary location then used or written elsewhere or it may be de/encrypted when it is transferred. It is a multi stage process so you have to do a bit of detective work, if filemon shows a file being written by IE and it's while you are downloading - it's probably that file.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?