Thread: a little help

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar

a little help

Tried this in the general area....but no responces so trying it here.....building a website and being a total novice at this wanted some advice/comments on the site....suggestions welcome....the subject of the site is not the issue here guys....the design is where I am seeking advice. It has a couple of videos and some music.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by PIPER; January 8th, 2007 at 22:43 PM.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    WARNING internet explorer users. I clicked the link and firefox pops a warning "Illegal function call". I ignored the warning and tried the video. I played one video and closed the video and it crashed Firefox. Not sure what is going on here but internet explorer users might be treated to some type of "drive-by download" from Helloworld.

Piper, your website looks ok and seems like a template but what the heck is it doing to firefox to violently kill it? it brought it so that I must use "alt control delete" and taskmanager to physically remove the firefox process? (I run multiple firefox profiles simultaneously so my setup can only have firefox.exe running once per profile. Standard Firefox users can have many firefox.exe's and may not notice the rogue firefox.exe that is now crapped and starting to use more physical memory" try it by using my settings from this thread ) IMPORTANT Firefox crashed and closed yet is still running in taskmanager like a trojan.... weird?

Any brave souls brave enough to visit using Internet Explorer and test with a filemonitor to see what Helloworld is doing on the Hard Drive?

EDIT
    here is the link I used
    http://www.helloworld.com/piper

after some thought it looks like the helloworld software must be installed on your computer to prevent the error. I could not trial the software without a credit card and I am not sure if anyone uses the helloworld website since I could not find any signs of life in the blogs just a couple pics. The website homepage really focuses on advertising infomercials to an older audience of fresh internet users. IMHO MySpace is similar and free

Excellent camera video recording piper.. what did you use?
    Last edited by egghead; January 8th, 2007 at 20:09 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I got the 500 error when trying to watch the 2nd video link, otherwise seems to work ok in IE. I like the object dock style toolbar on the page.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    On a mac/safari browser there were runtime errors in a frame on the lower right corner. On mac/firefox - I got the same 'Illegal function call" message but the page loaded. Although it seems somewhat disjointed. I'm guessing the template is more IE friendly than other standards-compliant browsers. The UI seems pretty slick though.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Quote Originally Posted by egghead View Post
    WARNING internet explorer users. I clicked the link and firefox pops a warning "Illegal function call". I ignored the warning and tried the video. I played one video and closed the video and it crashed Firefox. Not sure what is going on here but internet explorer users might be treated to some type of "drive-by download" from Helloworld.

Piper, your website looks ok and seems like a template but what the heck is it doing to firefox to violently kill it? it brought it so that I must use "alt control delete" and taskmanager to physically remove the firefox process? (I run multiple firefox profiles simultaneously so my setup can only have firefox.exe running once per profile. Standard Firefox users can have many firefox.exe's and may not notice the rogue firefox.exe that is now crapped and starting to use more physical memory" try it by using my settings from this thread ) IMPORTANT Firefox crashed and closed yet is still running in taskmanager like a trojan.... weird?

Any brave souls brave enough to visit using Internet Explorer and test with a filemonitor to see what Helloworld is doing on the Hard Drive?

EDIT
    here is the link I used
    http://www.helloworld.com/piper

after some thought it looks like the helloworld software must be installed on your computer to prevent the error. I could not trial the software without a credit card and I am not sure if anyone uses the helloworld website since I could not find any signs of life in the blogs just a couple pics. The website homepage really focuses on advertising infomercials to an older audience of fresh internet users. IMHO MySpace is similar and free

Excellent camera video recording piper.. what did you use?
    Keep in mind, my original question was suggestions/help with the website and not the content, but since you rolled the ball.....

I get the failure function called with mozilla...but everything works without any issues.....it is currently designed for use with IE...but that will change.
    the people are found in the video instant message/chat area...as for the comparison to myspace....not a chance...myspace on steroids maybe. Where on myspace can you send live streaming video mail?....or live streaming IM....or tv broadcast...or podcast, OR blog with live streaming video...granted it's not free but myspace will change their way soon.... etc etc etc....lol...if you click on the link then the tab on the top left for tv...you can see how people are putting their own recorded tv programs on the site...nowhere else can you do what helloworld offers and not worry about getting someones virus like myspace.....soon music downloads will be coming onboard for you music lovers to put on your ipods...etc...keep an eye on this...it is going to soar......

Note....no warning necessary for IE users.....this is designed for IE.....nothing to install except maybe an activeX from them,but that would be for your camera use...these servers are well protected....IE works smooth as a babys backside...

NOTE....no downloads of software required for any of their features.....like myspace requires.....helloworld is all browser delivered.

as for the camera....it is a logitech 5000 pro.
    Last edited by PIPER; January 9th, 2007 at 11:05 AM.

thanks for the update.

as you know I am a musician and the software is very interesting to me as well as the live tv function idea.

I'm using Firefox and used the link in your initial post.

Soon as I clicked the link I got this.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    I'm using Firefox and used the link in your initial post.

Soon as I clicked the link I got this.

can't read the error, I can only assume it is the same one that I get when using mozilla....but everything still works.....have sent this to their support peoples to see what they have to say...will advise....

Quote Originally Posted by PIPER View Post
    can't read the error, I can only assume it is the same one that I get when using mozilla....but everything still works.....have sent this to their support peoples to see what they have to say...will advise....
    Nice!

Can't wait to see why us Firefox users get the bum rush......

Let us know the reply my friend

Here's their reply......

Thank you for your recent inquiry. I am very sorry, but this is an
    issue most likely connected to the browser. Currently minimum
    requirements ask that you use internet explorer with the system at this
    time. There are also currently some issues due to the release of the
    new 5.0 product, and our engineers are working to correct these as soon
    as possible. As for installing items to your pc, our site only requires
    that you install the active x controler that allows you to create video
    with our system. Permission from you is needed to complete installation.

....lmao...I said that much.... ....will keep looking for the answer guys and let you know.

thanks for the update. so it is installing an activeX control that is meant for someone that has bought the software to encode and access their webcam? I was able to play the video you posted fine with no extra codecs so that is interesting. Keep us updated.