Thread: How to cut an onion without crying

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

How to cut an onion without crying

We've all had the experience, cutting a fresh onion makes you cry. Well someone's posted up an interesting article on avoiding those oniony tears:

Using a knife, cut a cone out of the bottom of the onion (where the roots come out). The diameter of this cone should be about a third of the diameter of the onion, and about 1/3 deep. Take this piece and throw it away (don't put it down the disposal!). This piece contains the part/gland that makes baby Jesus and everyone else in the room cry when you're chopping it up. Once you've gotten that piece out, chop off the top, peel, and slice the onion.

Been doing it for years, and it works like a charm. You know your cone is too small if it doesn't work, because you've cut into that teargas grenade.
    Give it a go & let us know how it turns out for you.

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/l...ons-103803.php

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Seems like a great idea... i did know of another trick (something involving the angle of the dangle etc) but now have forgotten it, so the water works always start!

If all you have to do is cut out bottom 1/3, could you just start slicing from the top, and stop 2/3 down?

Anyway, i try not to cook too much with onion (not good with the kiss-kiss breath)

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I tried this last night and it seemed to work. I didn't cry but then it could have just been a mild onion.

While we're on the subject:

Onions – Onions have been shown to help lower blood pressure and they contain flavonoids, which are believed to protect your body against cancer. In some cultures, raw onions are applied to the soles of the feet during an illness to help draw out the disease. While chopping onions helps release their beneficial nutrients, you can also try grilling them with a steak, adding a few slices to a hamburger or you can add a few slices to your salad. Onions are also easy to add to soups, stews and stir-fry dishes.
    http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22200

Why does it make baby Jesus cry? Did they even have onions in Israel 2000 years ago?

I have a perfect way to cut onions without the tears.
    I stand in the other room when my wife cuts them.
    Works everytime.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    I have a perfect way to cut onions without the tears.
    I stand in the other room when my wife cuts them.
    Works everytime.
    Good one Z3n, just like "how does a bloke open his beer?" "He doesnt, the wife should have it opened when she gets it from the fridge for you"

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---