Thread: Motherboard problems

Motherboard problems

Can you help me please, I have just had to replce my motherboard in my desktop because the old one's bios went up the creek and would not boot. The old mobo was a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 PRO G and i have replaced it with a Gigbyte GA-8IPE1000 Rev 2. Now everything works fine and it boots into XP fine but it will only recognise the CPU as a 2.8GHZ when it is in fact a 3.2GHZ, i just dont know what could be the problem the board should just auto detect the CPU and i know the CPU is fine.

Full Specs are
    GA-8IPE1000 Rev2
    4 x Kingston 400mhz 512 mb
    SATA hard disk
    3.2 GHZ intel pentium 4
    Sony DVD ROM
    Pioneer DVD RW

Hope you guys and gals can help me

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    What bios version does the board have, maybe you need to update the Bios

I'm guessing your motherboard is restricting the multiplier, rather than the FSB.
    though if it is the FSB that is lower than it should be (200MHZ is default for most current DDR1 systems) you should be able to increase it back up to 200 in the BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post
    What bios version does the board have, maybe you need to update the Bios
    The bios is on FE and i have tried to upgrade but it tells me its the wrong size, the file i download from the gigabyte website is a 256k file and when i try to upgrade it it says it needs a 4mb file

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalipse View Post
    I'm guessing your motherboard is restricting the multiplier, rather than the FSB.
    though if it is the FSB that is lower than it should be (200MHZ is default for most current DDR1 systems) you should be able to increase it back up to 200 in the BIOS.

The FSB is at 200mhz and yes the multiplier needs to be increased but there is no options to do this in the bios, it just auto detects the CPU

Quote Originally Posted by MartyW View Post
    The FSB is at 200mhz and yes the multiplier needs to be increased but there is no options to do this in the bios, it just auto detects the CPU
    That is perhaps an indication that your board doesn't support such features at all.
    If you gave it a thorough look in the bios, and you didnt see any options to adjust... then it is quite likely that you cannot adjust them and that the board is made to autodetect.

With the exception that the board cannot support that Freq Chip though, a board that auto dettects shouldnt be running a chip at a lower speed, and seeing that your board is a revision of your previous one.. I'd doubt thats the case.

Do your board have any DIP switches?
    perhaps this new one uses Jumpers to configure :|

What does your manual say about FSB/multi adjusting?
    One day I bled,
    And felt Better