Thread: Guide To Overclocking Your Video Card

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Guide To Overclocking Your Video Card

Found a pretty decent guide to overclocking your video graphics card. I am currently attempting to overclock my GPU. I used this guide as a reference. It is time to bump up the speed..
    I am using the NVmax to give it a boost.
    I have a powercolor Geforce 4 Ti 4200, running stock 250/500
    Recently I upped it to 260/520
    I am wonderin should I do 1:2 ratio when upping the speed. from what I can tell that seems to be the most effective. I will keep upping it until my system becomes unstable.

So give the following guide a try when or if you ever decide to overclock your video card.
    http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...=guide&dId=267

BB

hey boogs, do you plan on modding your card to put a better fan on? or is the one on there enough?
    -FrEE

Well after overclocking to 275/575 I think I will hold there... I was debating this very issue with ZERO. I really don't know yet. At first I was totally with it, but after benchmarking and getting a lower score than the default setting, I just don't know...

I was looking at the zalman series of fanless heatsinks... very nice.
    BB

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Boogs you should take a look at this, I bought this Zalman bracket for my PC. It comes with a 92mm fan that blows partly on the processor, partly on the motherboard. Then I attached another 80mm fan on the lower part to blow on my Video Card. It attaches to a PCI screw.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/images/septe...b123ins-1b.gif

For more details check out:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/fb123.htm
    Last edited by Reverend; September 15th, 2002 at 17:35 PM.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Boogs,just found this @ warp2search. nVHardPage. It's an nVidia tweak utility.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Thanks all. I will use that tool Reverend very soon. Conan, thanks for the link to that contraption. It looks interesting. How much was it?
    BB

Originally posted by Big Booger
    Thanks all. I will use that tool Reverend very soon. Conan, thanks for the link to that contraption. It looks interesting. How much was it?
    BB
    $ 13.50, pretty reasonable if you ask me.

Conan, Are you using your stock CPU heatsink and fan or did you upgrade that as well. Also, how many sockets for the fans do you have on your MOBO. I have three.. but adding this, do I need to buy some extra splitters or something, please advise over..
    BB

Very interesting fan combination Conan, reading the specs of the cooler it states it does not generate noise and vibration in silent mode. So how does it perform in normal mode, and how much does it decrease the case temperature. Being a Zelman product I'm sure that it would be extremely effective.

B.B I would go with some splitters instead of running directly of your mobo, my MB has support for 4 fans. And I only utilize 3 and run a couple of splitters, so I don't feel that my MB ever has too much load.
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Originally posted by Big Booger
    Conan, Are you using your stock CPU heatsink and fan or did you upgrade that as well. Also, how many sockets for the fans do you have on your MOBO. I have three.. but adding this, do I need to buy some extra splitters or something, please advise over..
    BB
    Yes I'm still using my stock CPU heatsink and fan. With regard to extra sockets, the 80 mm fans that I have, come with splitters so that you can add more fans to their connections.

With regard to lowering temps, I already had fans before on those places, with brackets and wires holding them there fabricated my Moi! (they looked horrible but served their purpose) So this is actually more of an appearance upgrade for me.

I have it running in Normal mode as I think you need a separate controller to have the capability of running it in Silent mode.
    Last edited by Conan; September 16th, 2002 at 21:51 PM.