Thread: VGA to DVI

Gold Member

VGA to DVI

My current computer has this motherboard, ECS P4M890T-M2 LGA 775 MAINBOARD 800MHZ FSB, which has 64MB onboard video. It only has a VGA output to the monitor. Now I just got a 19" wide flat panel for Christmas that has the VGA connections and the newer DVI connections. Question--if I bought an inexpensive 64MB or 128MB video card (about $20 on E-Bay),that has the newer DVI connections, would I see any difference ? I am not into gaming or anything like that, but just want the sharpest picture I can get at a reasonable cost. Thanks in advance for your replies

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hi Mike

It depends on two things, the quality of the analog to digital conversion the card has vs the same on the LCD.

On your regular VGA card (analog signal) the conversion take place in the LCD circuitry, LCD's are digital. If the ADC's ( See ADC here ) on the LCD are of lower quality than those of the video card, then yes there could be a difference. Also on the DVI connection it eliminates any possible loss or corruption of the signal between the card and the LCD.

I have a high end video card thats VGA+DVI+S-Video, a high end LCD, my best results are with VGA from the card.

IMO if the text is nice and sharp now with your VGA, you won't notice any better by going to a DVI card. If you do upgrade your card get one thats both VGA/DVI just in case

Gold Member
    Thanks for the reply, FastGame. The card I was looking at is this one (ATI PCI-Express X16 (DVI/VGA/TV out) Video Card 128MB). It does have the VGA and DVI output. There is a guy on E-Bay selling one that was removed from a new Dell because he was upgrading to a 256 MB. I might just take a chance on it, if I can get it for under $15.00 My monitor is a Hanns-G model HW191D.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Here's a review http://www.fastsilicon.com/content/view/51/29/

The monitor comes with a DVI-D cable, VGA cable, power cord, manual CD, and an audio cable. The documentation was somewhat lacking. Video cards with DVI connecters are becoming the norm, however many still have VGA. Certainly, DVI is the way to go if supported. However, during testing, we didn't notice a real difference between DVI and VGA